Hunting turkeys in the rain?

Tbob

Dec 11, 2014
Does anybody do this? Sorry for all the questions. Going out tomorrow and the forecast is showing rain. I've got zero problems being outdoors in the rain, just wasn't sure how the turkeys feel about it. As always guys, thanks so much!

Turkeys hate it in my experience you can have a massive flock but when it starts raining it's like there's no birds left in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've shot a number of birds in the rain, but it wasn't because I called them in.....Just good private property and knowing their daily routine.....If the rain is hard enough, they may not even leave the trees.....Today's rain was not hard enough for that, but after a few gobbles. The big guy got his jennys together and that was that.....Didn't even see a tom in my best spots after hunting MCC with my WW/Vet this morning..... ::)

My best suggestion on rainy day hunts is hunt as close to the roost and where they walk daily.....With so few birds on public, I don't know that spot even exists now..... :(

Right on guys.. Thanks for the 411 about turkeys in the rain.. I have a spot on public land that I've seen turkeys before, but I haven't figured out where they came from, I just saw where they went. It was late afternoon, maybe they were heading to there roost area? Anyways, I'm gonna go out anyways and try.. Probably hike around a bit too. Lots of area to learn. I also have a trail camera out there so I can go check on that and probably hamg another one.. So do you guys ever see turkeys in the tree while it's raining out while just hiking around? Just wondering what the rules/ethics are for shooting a bird in a tree mid-day? Thanks again guys. Its very much appreciated !

Ethically if it's legal I'd shoot one out of a tree. It's like shooting a duck off the water.

Shooting turkeys out of roost trees is about as unethical as it comes in turkey hunting.....Had some poachers sneak in on a roost tree on a friends property.....Killed 3 hens!!!..... :mad:

And speaking of poachers.....A 17 year (along with another 17 & 21 year old) was seen shooting his bow at turkeys on another friends property in Pine Hills....He was caught and she's going to press charges.....One of arrows stuck in a tree next to her house (the other arrow was a Guillotine)....He was laying down in the bed of his buddies truck and shot from the road....WTF!

I will post more about this incident later.

Don't judge a book by its cover in this scenario. Maybe if there was more public access to good areas and less hunting clubs this problem wouldn't exist.

D16hunter said:
Don't judge a book by its cover in this scenario. Maybe if there was more public access to good areas and less hunting clubs this problem wouldn't exist.

Judge the book by it's cover?.....I'm pretty sure that anyone that's taken the hunter safety course knows not to shoot from a road into someone's property!....This is the 3rd time this has happened on this particular property this season.....Because there's a lack of birds on public land, it's OK to shoot into or poach private lands?....::)

Public access to what?....Plenty of public access to CNF, BLM, wildlife areas, etc. in San Diego Co.

Hunting clubs?....To my knowledge, there's only 1 in all of San Diego Co.....MCC....And if it wasn't for the Mendenhall's leasing VID land, none of us would be hunting it..... :-[

City of San Diego does own the bottom land in Pamo.....I have tried to discuss a hunting program in there....To no prevail.....Maybe if hunters stopped crying about situations like this and tried joining organizations that fund and fight for hunting opportunities.....We'd have more of them.....Who do you think does all the work at Lake Sutherland for the turkey hunting program?......A handful of old guys in NWTF San Diego Chapter..... :-X

I just have sympathy for those who aren't rich. And don't get me started on mcc

The law as it is written is the law. Period. Legislate for change or follow it Period, otherwise suffer the consequence's. If you want more public access legislate for it, that's the only way it will happen I agree with Sprig. People buy property in the back country to have a place that they can enjoy by themselves. Put yourself in their place as trespassing without permission is going on. What would you do ?

D16hunter said:

Poaching will always exist. There is nothing ok about the situation that sprig described. Defending people who do things like that will never lead to more access to land, quite the opposite. It's scenarios like that that lead to land being closed to hunting forever. Ignoring the law, disrespecting property owners, ignoring ethical hunting standards, tisk tisk. I hope those boys learn their lesson. As far as access to public land is concerned, we actually have it quite good here in California. I'll admit that I am sometimes frustrated by the quantity/and placement of private land in San Diego, but if you compare to states like Texas, we have it made in the shade.

Those type of theives ( I won't call them hunters) are what gives real hunters a bad name, they are to lazy to do the work needed for the ultimate prize a legally harvested animal. It's got nothing to do with being poor, laziness and no respect for the law = poacher.

Don't get you started on MCC?......I'll get you started on MCC!......The Mendenhall's took a financial chance on leasing 1000's of acres of land that previously had not been hunted.....What they charge is basically to just make enough to keep the operation alive.....They started with 50 members and after securing the VID lease (which had never been hunted, even employees), they raised it to 100.....Right now there's about 75 members.....You think leasing 70,000 acres is cheap?.....There was no net loss to the public hunter..... ::)

You think you've got it bad here in SoCal?......Go hunt NoCal, Texas, Colorado, or any other state.....Mostly private, leased, or private property to access the best public lands.....I've hunted a lot of places, and with maybe the exception of Kansas, we have it as good as anybody..... :'(

I'm sorry if I came off like an a**hole that poacher to you is a good friend to me that I'm worried for that made a stupid mistake and he's learned his lesson. To let that follow him for the rest off his life however at the age of 17 how is that fair? We all do stupid s*** when were young. Hell hes writing an apology letter to the land owner and game warden promising he will never be back in that area and showing remorse. If this follows him for the rest of his life it's gonna ruin his life.

Well surprise surprise.....Your friend mentioned my name or said he was involved somehow in the youth hunting program I chair.....I got a call pretty quickly.....Just happen to be close friends with these people as well.....Not sure a letter is going to satisfy her..... :mad:

Oh, and a public golf course is not a public hunting area either.....Just sayin'

ps.....Did I mention he was with another 17 year old & a 21 year old.... ::)

If someone came onto my land and discharged any sort of weapon I would hope they are getting prosecuted to the fulliest. There is so no excuse for this. At 16 I was out on my own supporting myself. 17 is definitely old enough enough to know right from wrong. Lazy generation is all I'm hearing here. Plenty of land to hunt just takes work.

So the plot thickens.........your friends are just the people that give us a bad name tell them thank you for the black eye........and they should apologize to Steve for bringing his name up WTF is that?

A letter? Go face the music and better be willing to make it right with the landowner with lots of work or what ever she wants. Kids need to realize there are consequences to bad actions and face them head on not with a letter.

And personally these friends of yours are not people I'd hang around......all 3 are guilty in my book they had to work together to make this happen.

MJB said:
So the plot thickens.........your friends are just the people that give us a bad name tell them thank you for the black eye........and they should apologize to Steve for bringing his name up WTF is that?

A letter? Go face the music and better be willing to make it right with the landowner with lots of work or what ever she wants. Kids need to realize there are consequences to bad actions and face them head on not with a letter.

And personally these friends of yours are not people I'd hang around......all 3 are guilty in my book they had to work together to make this happen.
100% CORRECTOMUNDO!

ilovesprig said:
Well surprise surprise.....Your friend mentioned my name or said he was involved somehow in the youth hunting program I chair.....I got a call pretty quickly.....Just happen to be close friends with these people as well.....Not sure a letter is going to satisfy her..... :mad:

Oh, and a public golf course is not a public hunting area either.....Just sayin'

ps.....Did I mention he was with another 17 year old & a 21 year old.... ::)
Let me get this straight. Your trying to straight up accuse me of being a poacher? Good luck finding any evidence. I have witnesses for all my birds and irrefutable evidence of where I was. I know everyone involved and it sure as sh*t it wasn't me. Look into who the other kids are before you accuse me of being with them. Hell I feel like this is all my fault. I never showed this kid how a real man hunts turkeys. I was supposed to hunt with him alone in a legitimate area that day but I bailed. I unlike some people believe in second chances if your a kid.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu