I can only say wow

Sdbirds

You can't kill it from your couch.
Alright me and my buddy Steve went out for his first night hunt. 1 stand

Ok we started on distress, typical rabbits,voles pup cry. We ended up having to foxes and a bobcat commit at the exact same time. At this point we had already been winded by coyote that came in quick. He was on the other side of the knoll and would not stop challenge barking. I switched a coyote vocalizations and continued for a minute. As were looking at the Fox and the bobcat another coyote came up faraway. As my buddy was lining up to get his first kill I noticed one directly to my left coming in really close and slow. I switch from a rifle to shot gun. Put a flash light in my mouth and pulled up on......... Not a coyote. MOUNTAIN LION 25 yards

I was trying to spit out lion lion lion but had a flashlight in my mouth. At that point my buddies noticed and he' said Johnny and I said I know. It hung around for about 2 mins before it left. It bounced out to the top of 2 rollers about 70 yards away. Watched us for a bit longer then left. Right after that another coyote came in and stopped. I was a bit shaky took the shot( gut shot) needless to say he got away we did not look very hard because of longtail's in the area. Go back in a day or so to see if I can find it.

This cat came into coyote vocalizations. I did start with distress but I don't know everything about it was weird

No kills we did call in: every predator I can think of in San Diego.

Second lion I've seen called in to calls.

Make sure you sit with your back to trees rocks or something. They're out your ladies and gentlemen too many be careful

Small lion not very old

Sick of these things can't wait to go bow hunt deer soon with no side arm(wack ass). Between my group of friends we have seen 4 lions in this canyon in under year. Two could've been the same cat the other two for sure not

1 big attack a cow 47 yards

2 1 could have been my cow killer the other was a small female with a radio collar both over 120 yards

3 tonight smallest one I've seen 70 pounds probably smaller only about 6 feet long 25 yards

Awesome stand for sure. Wish I would have been there.

Josh Pearson said:
Awesome stand for sure. Wish I would have been there.
Absolutely. And it has to be said that your calling execution must be spot on.
Nice job calling them in.

Sent via Tapatalk

D16hunter said:
Bet you and Steve just about s**t yourselves i hate lions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not so much. It was the first lion I've seen that I think I could have fought off lol

Sdbirds said:
D16hunter said:
Bet you and Steve just about s**t yourselves i hate lions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not so much. It was the first lion I've seen that I think I could have fought off lol
Scrawny, unhealthy or just young and foolish?

Sent via Tapatalk

Deer herd is taking a beating.......Lots of cats on trail cams last year. Not one this year so far. This big tom was across the street from Lake Henshaw.

Attachments

• 20130327_MOUNTAIN_LION_micro.png
    20130327_MOUNTAIN_LION_micro.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
  • pix 2013.zip
    7.4 MB · Views: 11
Sdbirds said:
I want to shoot one so bad. Damn California

New Mexico if you want one........My good buddy has great hounds........ ;)

Attachments

• IMG_7512.JPG
    IMG_7512.JPG
    702.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7582.JPG
    IMG_7582.JPG
    435.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7449.JPG
    IMG_7449.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 15
How was the hunt. I really want to call one in and kill it. Lol my partner and I have called in 2 in a year but untouchable here lame. How is it going with dogs?

Ok scary but I always know they are out there. So I have a question. At what point can you shoot one and claim self defence. Does it have to actually bite me? Is 5 yards enough. What
Is the fish and wildlifes definition of self defence from a protected mountain lion? I'm gonna do what I need to do especially with kids and my wife out with me but what Is the line it must cross?

uplandfam said:
Ok scary but I always know they are out there. So I have a question. At what point can you shoot one and claim self defence. Does it have to actually bite me? Is 5 yards enough. What
Is the fish and wildlifes definition of self defence from a protected mountain lion? I'm gonna do what I need to do especially with kids and my wife out with me but what Is the line it must cross?

A couple years back. A bow hunter (Bruce Rucker) shot one in the Laguna's while deer hunting......HE CALLED DFW TO TELL THEM OF THE INCIDENT.....Read the story for yourself.....You may notice who the wardens were...... ::)

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC8QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.utsandiego.com%2Fnews%2F2012%2FFeb%2F03%2Fcalifornia-bow-hunter-pleads-guilty-killing-mounta%2F&ei=lOjVU9eAPMqJogTL8oHYDg&usg=AFQjCNFB00eCbkgtf0NRWLREDffN2Y607Q&sig2=gtKPMtWS7srgfez2PVTG-Q&bvm=bv.71778758,d.cGU

Self defense is self defense. If I believe a mountain lion is going to attack me, I like my chances with a Game Warden better than my chances against the teeth and claws! From the article Steve posted, it seems as though a hunting partner to back your story is the best option. If you are a solo hunter, as I most likely will be, it comes down to a judgement call.

California Self-Defense Law
In the state of California, it is acceptable to use self-defense using any means or force you deem necessary to protect yourself from injury or death. If you have a reasonable belief that you may be attacked or feel you are in imminent or immediate danger of attack, you have the right to defend yourself.

Obviously, if you shoot a lion at 200 yards because you were scared, you're not going to have much luck pleading self defense. 5 yards or 25 yards makes no difference to me if the cat has locked those hungry eyes on me!

BamaDJ said:
Self defense is self defense. If I believe a mountain lion is going to attack me, I like my chances with a Game Warden better than my chances against the teeth and claws! From the article Steve posted, it seems as though a hunting partner to back your story is the best option. If you are a solo hunter, as I most likely will be, it comes down to a judgement call.

California Self-Defense Law
In the state of California, it is acceptable to use self-defense using any means or force you deem necessary to protect yourself from injury or death. If you have a reasonable belief that you may be attacked or feel you are in imminent or immediate danger of attack, you have the right to defend yourself.

Obviously, if you shoot a lion at 200 yards because you were scared, you're not going to have much luck pleading self defense. 5 yards or 25 yards makes no difference to me if the cat has locked those hungry eyes on me!

I've let 3 under 50 yards walk
1 at 47.
1 at 11 she got mad
1 at 25
All are alive all were not safe to have that close but only one was kind of threatening.

I have hunted deer in San Diego Co. since 1974.......I only miss a handful of days during every turkey season and spend many days scouting and traveling east county......I've never seen a big cat while hunting.....I've seen a dead one the side of the road on Banner Grade, I saw one cross the road below Grapevine Canyon, I saw one on MCC running near the old honor camp, and I saw cross the road near Pauma Valley.

I can assure you, if I'm bow hunting and one lays it's ears back from 20 ft. He will be shot!

Attachments

• heise lions ll[1].JPG
    heise lions ll[1].JPG
    533.5 KB · Views: 14
Here's the statement from Bruce Rucker as written on Bloodydecks:

"So the next time one of us bow hunters has to defend ourselves do you really think anyone is going to even bother to call DFG and endure this baloney?

On Saturday the 26th of November I went archery deer hunting in the Laguna Mountains.

The following occurred:
Ø Approximately 0615 arrived at my ground blind.
Ø At approximately 0700 while slowly scanning terrain I saw the mountain lion sneaking through some small trees heading in my direction with his eyes fixated on my location with his ears slightly pinned back.
Ø At this time I was thinking that maybe the lion didn’t see me so I stood up in plain sight drew my bow and yelled “Hey” at the top of my lungs! My adrenaline was flowing and I know that you should make yourself as large as possible as well as yell at the lion.
Ø The lion froze up but then preceded a couple more steps towards me still maintaining eye contact. The lion was now approximately 20 feet from my location.
Ø At this point I shot the lion with my compound bow and it dropped and then struggled down the hill toward my direction.
Ø The arrow struck the lion just in front of his left front leg in the chest area. The arrow didn’t exit the animal and was broke off inside the chest cavity.
Ø By the time the lion stopped struggling he was about 5 feet from my blind on the left hand side.
Ø The lion looked like it was suffering so I took a second shot but the arrow was deflected by a dead branch and hit the lions paw and then a small tree.
Ø I then left this location to go get my hunting partner and see how to contact the Fish and Game Department.
Ø My hunting partner was able to contact a friend to have the Fish and Game officers call my partners phone since mine had poor reception in the area.
Ø I told the Agent what happened and gave him my GPS location.
Ø When the agents arrived they took my statement and decided pretty much from the start that I was lying. It was more of an interrogation that an interview.
Ø At one point they had decided to call it self defense and took the animal.
Ø As we were hiking out of the mountains the game warden called my friend and said they needed to see us at our vehicles.
Ø When we arrived at our vehicles, they asked me who tried to cut off one of the claws?
Ø I stated no one and that it was from the second shot that I took but missed. It had hit the paw when it was deflected.
Ø At this point they became enraged saying that I had lied about the second shot and then decided to write me up for the illegal take as well as “Obstruct / delay of peace officer”.
Ø At the time I didn’t think it mattered about the second shot that missed. It wasn.t the arrow that killed him anyway.
Ø They had me drive 45 minutes back to Alpine (friends house) before citing me.
Ø They then seized my bow and arrows.
Ø My hunting license and tag were not taken.
Ø They decided that they would change their mind from “self defense to illegal take and position of a mountain lion” as well as removal of illegal game. They took the animal not me.
Ø They wrote the citation stating that the lion was quartering to my just passing by and that I hunted the lion on purpose. I explained that if I had been I wouldn't have called them!

I am a sportsman and not a poacher and I follow the rules and laws to a tee at all times just to avoid all these problems. If I didn’t think that I could have been attacked or killed I would have let the animal pass with no incident. I truly felt like this was a self defense issue!

I have never had a violation from Fish and Game or any other law enforcement agency and I consider myself a law abiding citizen.

I can tell you that in the future I will not trust Fish and Game enough to even report a poacher because they may try and say I was in with them!

I did my days in court and the best the DA would do is reduce it to an infraction with a $500.00 fine. They would have dismissed it but they said the Fish and Game Commission had been leaning on them hard to prosecute all fish and game cases!

before I got a lawyer the DA wanted to give me a criminal misdemeanor and 3 years probation, $500.00 fine and to relinquish my bow.

It was all about money and deals! this is the first and hopefully the last time I have to go to court!
y best advice is to never trust them! They would cite their own mother if they had a chance! I've heard a lot of stories about them and now fully believe them.

Now I have to find out where they are storing my bow so I can get it back. I'm thinking that I'll probably get a letter from Fish and Game trying to take away hunting for a couple years besides. Not sure what happens now. Case was closed as far as the courts are concerned but I'm sure F&G will want to screw with me some more!

Hopefully this is understandable since I'm writing in a pissed off mood.

Be careful out there everyone because they will screw you whether you think you are doing right or not!

Note: they also ransacked my backpack, my friends backpack, looked at my camera pics as well as our personal cell phones. I think they were looking for pictures etc. I guess they don't have to follow the 4th amendment? I know the NRA was checking into that issue.

Anyone that knows me will tell you that I am quite anal when it comes to following game laws".

Back