I know nothing.....

Midwest_Hunter

Mar 6, 2013
IS there anyone that could give me a hand figuring out how to saltwater fish? I have grown up freshwater fishing all my life and do not know anything about saltwater fishing. I do have a place that I have been told to go to fish but I need more information as far as setup, bait, and so forth. Any information would be helpful.

I don't know very much myself but if you are talking about fishing from a boat, I would recommend you buy a ticket for a 1/2 day charter (or longer, but 1/2 day trips are a good place to start). They provide live bait and most of the crews are fairly used to newbies so I'm sure the could help you out. Mostly bottom fish but some yellowtail, too if you happen to run into them. They run about $45 ( I know, its kinda expensive).

I normally go out of Point Loma in San Diego but there are plenty of others. Hope this helps!

To give you good info, you need to be more specific........Boat, no boat?......Shore, pier?.....Location, SD Bay, Mission Bay, O'side beach, big pond, local kelp beds, etc.........Freshwater bass gear will do you for most things in close.......Bait is normally species specific.......Swim baits can good for many species (bass, croaker, halibut, etc.).......Sand crabs, blood worms, and some forms of grubs are good for many of your surf fish.......The list goes on and on...... ;)

I don't have access to a boat so I would be doing shore or pier fishing. I have a lot of freshwater bass gear. I have been told to go toward the Mission Bay area but again this is all I know and its not much to start with.

A kayak or float tube would help in any of the bays........Lures?......Start with swim baits.......1/4-1/2 oz jig heads........The swim bait itself should fit on this size jig.......Colors?.......I like green-backed anything (I like AA or . Pearl or shad colors are good as well......Technique.......Throw and retrieve slowly. Try to keep lure just above eel grass.

The fish that your targeting will be mostly spotted bay bass, halibut, croaker, and occasional ray.......Standard bait casters, 6 1/2' rods and 10 lb should be fine.......You'll want to be able to cast as far as possible.

Hope this helps a little.

Attachments

• IMG_8502.JPG
    IMG_8502.JPG
    456.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8500.JPG
    IMG_8500.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 20
i would get out on a 1/2 or 3/4 day boat and just rent some gear and do what the deckhands tell you to do. The rentals will be set up for what you need out there and the deckhands are usually very eager to help as their tips depend on it. They are the ones out there everyday and know whats going on. Shore/pier fishing at the bay is tough.

If your looking to fish in the surf I head down to Mission Beach quite often. Your freshwater bass gear would be perfect. I have some tackle you could start off with so you get an idea of what to buy. Usually just 1/2oz or 3/4oz egg sinkers, some swivels, small hooks. Mostly using sand crabs for bait, but switch up and use 2" camo gulp worms too.

Buy a 9 foot mako surf combo, tie a hi/Lo rig with a 5oz sinker on bottom put some 5/0 hooks on with squid cast out before the breakers on a pier and wait for a big ole bat ray to take off. Watch your pole they will take it

TaftHunter said:
Buy a 9 foot mako surf combo, tie a hi/Lo rig with a 5oz sinker on bottom put some 5/0 hooks on with squid cast out before the breakers on a pier and wait for a big ole bat ray to take off. Watch your pole they will take it

Will a 7ft heavy action rod work?

Get on a boat - rent a rod - go offshore and kills some fish. Come back reevaluate. The fishing offshore is better than it has been in 20 years...

Just get out there!

Midwest_Hunter said:
TaftHunter said:

Will a 7ft heavy action rod work?

For sure! I just like the 9ft cause I can cast farther... But 7 will work just fine!

Hit me up if you're still looking for a partner to fish with. I have an extra tube and some waders that leak but it's warm now so you can go without them if you want. I typically fish the bays every weekend. Typically I just fish for bass and have rods from 5' UL to 6'6 MH rod. I'm sure your FW gear would be fine.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu