I think I understand what all the buzz is about with the dove now

Boudroux

Jan 26, 2013
Holy cow is dove hunting fun! For some reason I've always shy'd away from dove hunting because the mental picture of it wasn't appealing. Based on what friends described I envisioned mass quantities of people, alcohol, getting peppered with shot and not a lot of fun. For whatever reason I just pictured a scene like the sandbar in Havasu except everyone had guns. Boy was I wrong.

I tried last year, one day and never saw a single bird flying. I got a few but that was because I started walking the ditches and flushing dove.

So this year I figured I'd give it a real effort. I went out the Friday before opener to Blythe and spent the day scouting around and saw tons of birds in two different fields and had a plan. My old man and I drove out late Wednesday night and hit the field Thursday morning.

What an amazing experience. There were so many dove flying that I actually had a hard time because a lot of the times I would go for a shot there were multiple birds in the sight picture and I found myself hesitating for a moment to pick a single and then squeezing off a shot in desperation as they got out of range. That and I swear those huge dragon flies are in kahoots with the darn dove. A number of times I'd mount the gun and a freaking dragon fly the size of a sparrow would buzz around the end of the muzzle and throw me off LOL. On Thursday it took me 5 boxes of shells and an AM-PM hunt to get my limit. No excuses, I need to work on my shooting. This was after the morning shoot, I didn't take pics in the afternoon.
LzWrwYZ.jpg

It was so cool that I drove out Sunday with my two sons, age 5-6 and my old man again to hunt Sunday afternoon and then again Monday morning. My sons painted up their own buckets, had their bb guns and haven't stopped talking about it since. As a father I couldn't have been more happy to have them with me and to watch them enjoy themselves. Both my boys were calling out birds for me and at one point my oldest said "papa needs help he is to old to see all the birds" and went over to my dad and sat with him to call em out. In hind sight I should have done a better job of taking pictures because we had 3 generations out there and I only took one picture the entire time.

My youngest tuckered out
KMQTc8Q.jpg

I'll probably go out again this weekend with my boys. Hopefully I can work on improving my hit rate.

I had so much fun and am now hooked. My only complaint was the amount of trash left by dirtbag hunters. Truly disgusting in my opinion. Each session we were out I filled two 5 gallon buckets of shells, boxes and drink containers and that was just a drop in the bucket vs the amount of trash out there. What kind of A hole just throws their shell box on the ground and leaves all their hulls around. I thought it was very sad to see.

Outstanding story of your 1st real experience with dove hunting....It truly is a tradition that will be with you, your dad, and your sons for years to come..... 8)

ps....Love the Humpy.....20 gauge?

Ditto what has been said and huge kudo's for being the bigger man and picking up after slob hunters. Folks like you are going to keep the sport alive...Consider yourself a sportsman! Now hit the range at Project 2000 and practice up for the second opener.

I'm sorry, I still don't get it. Why do you want to get peppered by idiots to shoot a bird that maybe will render two mouthfuls? I am kinda lost on this one especially considering the heat you have to stand in. For me, I will wait and take my dog when it is cooler and go find birds that are a little bigger.

TonyS said:
I'm sorry, I still don't get it. Why do you want to get peppered by idiots to shoot a bird that maybe will render two mouthfuls? I am kinda lost on this one especially considering the heat you have to stand in. For me, I will wait and take my dog when it is cooler and go find birds that are a little bigger.

Wow..... You should get slapped in the mouth for a comment like that.

TonyS said:
Ouch :(

ilovesprig said:
Outstanding story of your 1st real experience with dove hunting....It truly is a tradition that will be with you, your dad, and your sons for years to come..... 8)

ps....Love the Humpy.....20 gauge?

It is a Belgium era Light 12 with a Japanese era Invector + barrel. I rarely shoot it as I prefer my SKB model 100 SxS which I'm way more comfortable with. One of the spots we shot needed steel so I didn't bring the SKB. I love that Browning but, IMO, it is heavy and I don't like lugging it around chasing quail. I'll be going to Raahauges with it for sure now!

Thanks everyone, I'm pumped for sure.

TonyS said:

Lol. Remember Thumper... if you don't have anything to contribute, go ahead and keep your comments to yourself. How was this any way to contribute to the topic or responses besides to be the "anti-dove" guy?! I've never been a part time hunter. I try to hunt as much as possible. And to clarify, if you're only going out to get 1 bite of dove, then your goals are out of whack. 1 hours worth of work on opening day gave me 28 delicious mouthfuls of meat. Took it to a party and was enjoyed by all. Maybe brave the weather and go give it a shot one year... you just might have the time of your upland life!

I guess I'm sick too...... ;D

Drove out before work to the IV with Jacob for about 2 hours of shooting.....Hot, humid and very slow, but we managed 14.....Well worth the effort IMO..... ;)

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    514.4 KB · Views: 22
ilovesprig said:
I guess I'm sick too...... ;D

Drove out before work to the IV with Jacob for about 2 hours of shooting.....Hot, humid and very slow, but we managed 14.....Well worth the effort IMO..... ;)

Great picture.

TonyS said:

Tony - I have a recipe for even a single dove! "Bad Day Dove Risotto" from the cookbook Afield, which I highly recommend. It's a fantastic was to stretch even the smallest amount of meat. Will post soon. ;)

I missed this post. And what a good post it was Boudroux. Congratulations on your hunt. Dove hunting is one of my favorite things to do. They are sporty and keep you busy, they taste great and it is a fun social event to be shared by family and friends.

Thanks for sharing...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu