I'd rather be lucky than good........

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
After birthday celebrations Friday night, Jacob and I woke up to wind, rain, and just crappy weather...I knew exactly where we were going and if the birds acted like they had for weeks, we would be in business...Well, roosted ain't roasted......;)

We sneak into our MCC spot and set up...The rain actually eased up and flydown should be close to what it had been (6:20 am)...A little late, but the 1st hen pitches down right in front of us...Then another, then another, until 7 hens are 30 yds from Jacob...Jacob's gun is up and the last bird down is a single jake...WTF!...Every day it's been those hens and a big longbeard...They mill around for awhile and that was that...More rain and we pulled the pin at about 10:00 am...Went back in the afternoon, but the rain was even worse, and we didn't get a smell......:(

Sunday morning was more of the same...Cold, wet, and breezy...Totally different MCC zone and totally different results...Gobbles from 3 directions and we were in the middle...Again, we had a little break in the weather...Perfect...Hit the wet box and got instant gobbles below us...In no time 4 jakes are staring us down...Nervous, they walked away...About that time, we see 2 more red heads coming and they're gobbling...These birds are bigger and they break our sight plain at about 25 yds...Unfortunately, they had were jakes too, just longer beards, and more dominant...4 more jakes came in, but no longs...By now, it's starting to really rain...Good rain gear, but pretty miserable turkey hunting weather...Called it at 9:00 am......:confused:

So, this morning I was hunting solo...Best 40 was decided on...I get there just before flydown and I don't see or hear a single gobble...Hell, there was still snow on the ground and cold as hell...After about an hour and half...I go and visit the landowner...I even get some pancakes...lol...It's now about 8:00 am and I head back up the hill...I settle in and give a call...Nothing...Time for some sleep...Rearrange turkey lounger and sit back for the long haul...No sooner had I closed my eyes, I think I think I hear a gobble...I open my eyes and 90 yds walking on the deer trail right in front of me is 7 hens and a big guy...When he gets to about 30...Kapooow!..Stefanie's little Benelli M-2 20 gauge with TSS #9's stones him...Some turkey hunter..... :joy:

IMG_4921.JPGIMG_4927.JPGhenshaw bday  3-29-24.JPEG4-1-24.JPGspurs 4-1-24.JPG

Showed him who the boss was..nice stevo!!!

Reactions: kabose1

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu