Idaho Boise/Nampa area Unit 39

d16ridgehiker

Oct 26, 2011
Got a Deer tag for unit 39 in October. Heading out to Boise next week to visit friends and start getting familiar with the area. Already have done alot of searching for info and have several places Im checking into. If anyone here is also hunting that unit this year Id like to compare notes or talk a bit about the area. Any suggestions on things to not miss while Im visiting there would be appreciated!

A wolf would be a true trophy. Never seen one in the 4 years I hunted ID, found a wolf kill though. I have seen bears every year, however. I need to make it up there for a spring hunt sometime.

Take this for what it is, one of the guys I was hunting with had a warden tell him to shoot every wolf he saw and not worry about tags...

I moved to Nampa last year. Haven't hunted 39 yet tho. I hear its a zoo since its close to Boise but so is the 16 in SD. Waiting for my draw results. If not drawn I will be grabbing some OTC tags. Put in for deer, elk and antelope in a few different units. Best of luck!!

Reactions: ilovesprig
I moved to Nampa last year. Haven't hunted 39 yet tho. I hear its a zoo since its close to Boise but so is the 16 in SD. Waiting for my draw results. If not drawn I will be grabbing some OTC tags. Put in for deer, elk and antelope in a few different units. Best of luck!!
Our Friends live in Nampa too. Ive heard 39 is a zoo as well but also alot of road hunters. The unit is HUGE to say the least. You can drive 4 hours to get from one side to the other. Should be fun no matter what. Definitely more animals in the woods there than here at home......

Our Friends live in Nampa too. Ive heard 39 is a zoo as well but also alot of road hunters. The unit is HUGE to say the least. You can drive 4 hours to get from one side to the other. Should be fun no matter what. Definitely more animals in the woods there than here at home......
That is forsure. I believe it is the largest unit in the state. & that's awesome I love it here. Lots to hunt and fish around here. I just pulled some crawfish traps that were set locally and filled half a 5 gallon bucket!! There's always something to do out here lol

Always look at the upstream sources of crayfish or any fish for that matter. I work with a lot of conservation organizations throughout the year in many parts of the southwest. Crayfish can be worse than finfish, Crayfish will accumulate toxins if they are in an environment where farm growth chemicals and pesticides or any other manmade chemistry flows through the waters. All waters in the U.S. should be approached with knowledge and care if you intend to consume your harvest. I used eat mudbugs out of Sorrento valley in Del Mar in the sixties under the Sorrento valley road bridge next to the I-5 and 805, would not even dip my finger in the water there anymore....

Reactions: d16ridgehiker
Had a good trip! Still..... Lots of work to do though. Need to get the legs and lungs up to par for the sheer steepness of the mountains. Only had one day to hike and the first climb was about 600" feet in about a 1/2 mile. Kicked my butt.

Idaho.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu