imperial county dove hunting?

U

uplandfam

Any one been out to imperial county to dove hunt recently? With my wife not wanting to hunt hogs, upland bird season a ways off and coyote slowing so the pairs can make more little targets, im thinking of a weekend trip to the dove fields in imerial county for the year round no no limit euros. i live north of LA and they are all over my neighborhood. Ive never been down that way any pointers? any info would be great.

thanks and happy hunting.

why is that? pellet gun? to close to people? to many of them? im confused?

Think out side the box man, The Euro's....... There all around your house

It's a joke.

sorry its been a loooong weekend, I have thought about it many times but..... my spaniel chases them out of the garden all day long

any one else have any thoughts on imperial county?

thanks

Imperial Valley is a Mecca for bird hunters. Lots of farm land. Weather has been warm so the birds are flying. Just drove through there this afternoon and saw quite a few euros. It got up to 96 in El Centro today. I'd find a field close to water and with trees nearby and you'll do fine. Maybe something near a feed lot. Good luck and let us know how you do.

breecher thank you for that ill head out in confidence. Are the dove fields on the cdfw map good spots? they seam to be near the salton sea area? since ive never been down we are planning to leave very early saturday its a 3hr drive and stay in a motel and hunt both days.

thanks

Best advice for dove.......drive until you find the birds then hunt. Fields change out there all the time

!update! Wife and I got up at 4am made the 220 mile. drive to imperial county this morning saw lots of euros. Got 5 in the first hour and 2 boxes of shells. Stop at 11 scouted from the car and awaiting check in time. Our 6 month old gsp pup retrieved 3 He is doing great also thanks for the advise every one.

uplandfam said:
!update! Wife and I got up at 4am made the 220 mile. drive to imperial county this morning saw lots of euros. Got 5 in the first hour and 2 boxes of shells. Stop at 11 scouted from the car and awaiting check in time. Our 6 month old gsp pup retrieved 3 He is doing great also thanks for the advise every one.

Long drive dude.

Tonight I was thinking about this very subject and was going on line to post some info about the maps posted by cal fish and game. They seem to be changing their website and it took me a minute or two to find the map again Deek's around a watering hole always seems to work good for dove. Before a blab to much more from this martini here is the map

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/documents/ContextDocs.aspx?cat=WLB-Game

Before I moved to SoCal I swore I would never shoot dove again.

However the Farmers in America's most fertile soil are calling for the American hunter to put a dent in the dove population in the Imperial Valley. Its your duty! ;D And mine so that so called personal boycott of shooting the "love" bird...between so symbol and the USA DIE LITTLE BIRDY DIE!!

God Bless

This was our first time in imperial county and first time dove hunting. This place is huge. We did not see as much as we would have liked but we ended yesterday with 16 euros in the bag. It's the most game we have ever gotten in a single day. It was fun not too hot (100) and lots of opertunity All in all a good get away

Thanks all

nice job, i was supposed to be out there sat too, but got off work at midnight, in bed at 2:00 ,when the alarm went off at 4:00 wasnt feeling it, shut it off and went back to sleep.....kicked myself all day...lol

I feel that. We have church on Friday nights. My wife gave the sermon so I could spend the week at work and packing. She talks a little longer then I do by the time we got home it was after 12 then the alarm went off at 3 so we could make the drive in the cool dark and hit the fields at sun up. Not even the dog was ready to get up at 3 but we don't get out that often so I drug my self out of bed.

If you don't mind sharing what was your strategy. I have been hunting Niland for years and very familiar with the area I went out scouting for opener with my 10 year old boys for their first hunt I told them if we saw some euros we could shoot them but they were all near homes and out buildings also maybe a tip on identifying them vs. Morning dove. Thanks

New to site Thanks. I read other post on identifying euros. Now just wondering on on location ... not expecting any spots just near canal or by sea or orange groves, cattle yards etc. If possible. I've been hunting dove since I was 11 (now 37). Just looking to get my boys the most experience on wing shooting and wouldn't mind taking them out after regular season ends to continue hunting.

Dove hunting is a shoot the hunt is finding the birds

Look back at reply 7. Get there before sun up drive drive drive until you find birds then stop glass and box the area then do it again 1 spot is not a spot 2 spots is much better......Don't waste your time on one or two birds keep looking until you find a lot of birds keep doing this again & again until it gets hot then eat rest or get to know the area. Then around 2 pm start the drive and go until dark you never know what fields will be posted or too crowded and some fields will be an AM or PM shoot not both so glass drive glass drive then box the area when you find them.

Dove hunting is a shoot the hunt is finding the birds remember........get your binos look at roosting birds on the wires to tell what's what......color is the key not size or flight pattern for euros

Good luck guys

MJB said:
Dove hunting is a shoot the hunt is finding the birds

Look back at reply 7. Get there before sun up drive drive drive until you find birds then stop glass and box the area then do it again 1 spot is not a spot 2 spots is much better......Don't waste your time on one or two birds keep looking until you find a lot of birds keep doing this again & again until it gets hot then eat rest or get to know the area. Then around 2 pm start the drive and go until dark you never know what fields will be posted or too crowded and some fields will be an AM or PM shoot not both so glass drive glass drive then box the area when you find them.

Dove hunting is a shoot the hunt is finding the birds remember........get your binos look at roosting birds on the wires to tell what's what......color is the key not size or flight pattern for euros

Good luck guys

And after years of doing things, you'll have spots all over the IV.......No substitute for scouting.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu