Interested in hunting, late starter from I.E.

jparedesjr

Feb 19, 2015
Hi, I've been interested in hunting for a year or so now. I took hunters education last spring but have been unable to start hunting (dont even know where to start) due to budget and time constraints. I decided to join this forum to get as much info as possible. Nobody in my family hunts or even likes outdoors much, so I have no mentors that I can ask for advice. Also, I'm middle age, so I realize most people start as kids. I did not have that opportunity but my hope is that this is something I can pass down to my son.
I take my shotgun to Prado or raahauges for practice when time permits, as those ranges are near home. I hope to get out to the field soon.
Since I only have a shotgun, I've mainly been interested in rabbit or bird hunting. I'm mainly interested in game animals that I will eat, (although i did tag along on an unsuccessful coyote hunt in Arizona). I would like to eventually hunt pigs, deer and turkeys someday. Looking forward to reading this forum.

Welcome JP to SCH,

Always tough just starting out in anything.....My suggestion would be get involved with your local chapter of Quail Forever, California Waterfowl Assoc., or other group that sets up work parties and meetings.

For instance, this Saturday is a work party at the San Jacinto Wildlife Area......Starts at 6:30 am. Meeting like minded folks and talking shop will be your best communication. It shows your willing to work and serious about getting into hunting.

Steve

Thanks guys. I saw the San jacinto event on these forums. I would love to get more involved this coming year, although I have a pre existing commitment. Looking forward to the next one.

Yeah definitely get involved by volunteering for youth, clean-ups and local meeting. But you can get out and check out areas too. Take water and some snacks, and go hiking to get to know the areas first hand that you read about in the forum.

That sounds like a great plan. I usually have my 5 yr old with me. Ive been taking him on hikes in our neighborhood hills but he's been longing for me to take him to a "forest". I will certainly look forward to exploring the local wilderness.

jparedesjr said:
That sounds like a great plan. I usually have my 5 yr old with me. Ive been taking him on hikes in our neighborhood hills but he's been longing for me to take him to a "forest". I will certainly look forward to exploring the local wilderness.

That's the best part about it. Getting your kid out there and exploring together. Welcome to the site.

There will be a NWTF Jakes event this spring. Can't find the date, maybe Sprig knows it already. Your boy would love it.

Bonejour said:
There will be a NWTF Jakes event this spring. Can't find the date, maybe Sprig knows it already. Your boy would love it.

Don,

I know it because I'm the chairman........... ;D.............June 27th.....Sign-ups start June 1st.

ilovesprig said:
Bonejour said:

Don,

I know it because I'm the chairman........... ;D.............June 27th.....Sign-ups start June 1st.
Figured it was just a question of whether you'd settled on a date. I'll be there.
8)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu