It;s Snowing in Julian

If it's not one thing it's another. These turkeys gotta be tough to survive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep Luke.....It's just about the worse case scenario for young turkeys (under 10 days old)......Cold rain or snow......CRAP!

Have you seen any sign of hatching Steve? We probably won't see any more snow after this storm. So I am hopeful that every thing times out right. Habitat is way above average in our region, all wild life has a really good chance for survival this year. Mother nature has a way of defusing the population explosion, and that may be what we are seeing. Life is no accident on this planet. Lots of checks and balances put in place by the Big Guy to keep the system going. I got my fingers crossed.

I agree, Doug......I was just hoping for a banner recuitment year for turkeys.....They nest and hatch at different times for a reason.....It's just if you go back 30 days, that would be April 7th.....Lots of birds (especially older hens) were on nests.....Hatching and those 1st 10 days would be about now.....We'll know in a month or so how we made out for the most part......Fingers crossed as well.

If the birds can survive in Montana, Colorado, Idaho I think they can survive our So Cal blizzard. One more good storm to top of our ponds before summer is not necessarily terrible.
Shoot as many coyotes as you can and that will make up for the snow.

I saw some poults last weekend that were bigger than the ravens that were hunting them.

Stopped by Sutherland today.....They said they saw poults 2 weeks ago.....These should be OK.....I also saw a number of jakes & groups of hens (not good) as well.

Oh yeah.....One young buck too.....lol

.001.JPG 002.JPG 006.JPG

No worries. All is well. Greener than green on the mountain. Lots of water. Lots of bugs, seeds. And green grass. It's going nuts up here. It will be a stellar year. It was starting to dry out be for the storm. All is good.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu