Last hurrah for Montana....Pheasant opener

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
I scouted a lot and knew pretty much where I wanted to start...It paid off...All public (state & BMA) properties...The 1st spot we get to already had two guys there...As we looked at them way down the way, we see 10-11 birds in the field near the tules...They had walked right past them...We get into the field and they instantly head for the thick stuff...Ronnie has 4 in front of him and I have the rest in front of me...As I get to the edge, up they come...I pick a sure rooster and down he goes into the jungle...Took a while with both dogs, but Beau fines it...Don't know where the 4 in front of Ronnie went...One down

Within walking distance is another property and Ronnie heads one way and I head the other...In no time, Coley's flushing hens...Then he goes into full pointing mode...I should've stopped right there and taken a picture, but I didn't...I walk up on him and sure enough...It's a young rooster...Ronnie and Beau only flush hens....2 in the bag.

The next actually is private, but is next to public...Ronnie starts at one end and I start at the other...I hadn't gone 100 yds and Coley flushes a big rooster along with about 5 hens...Down goes #3...And I'm done...Coley really clued in on the pheasant this year...He was like machine down in the ditches and tules...E-collars work!

Ronnie is still without a bird, but that would end soon at the next BMA field...I drop him off and drive the truck to the other end...In no time, I watch Beau get one up out of a ditch...A swing and a miss and his 1100 jams as a 2nd rooster flushes...That sucked...He then tells me he's going to walk across this field where there's some wild land...I drive to the other side (1 mile)...I'm watching him thru binos...I start seeing what appears to be a covey of quail getting up...Flush after flush for it seems like 10 minutes...All pheasant and I can hear him shooting...He said it's the biggest flush he's ever had...100+ birds...Of course, he got his 3 and we were done.

Great ending to a great trip that included Canada...Till next year... :heart:

IMG_2821.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG
IMG_2820.JPGIMG_2855.JPGIMG_2838.JPGIMG_2856.JPGIMG_2750.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu