Lead Free Ammo

CaptCoot

Mar 24, 2024
East County, SD
Hello Gentlemen,
New guy here hopefully this post is in the right spot. Have a question for you guys who hunt big game here in CA. I’ve only hunted deer out of state and ducks in the IV. What bullets do you guys use? I know Barnes, ETips, Hornady, are all popular. I’ve seen some recent post about Hammer bullets. Just interested in what everyone uses and how they’ve preformed for you in the past.

We've had good luck with both the Hammers and the Barnes TTSX. I prefer the Hammers, my dad prefers the Barnes.

All of it has worked well for me (Hammers, Barnes and Hornady) on animals. Just ensure the gun shoots it well and it's going fast enough to expand.

Hornady outfitter is the sugar-free option my Rem 700 in 7MM mag seams to like best, works well at making stuff dead.

Not a fan...but if I was ..and lived in CA..I'd shoot the one that shoots good out of your rifle..I shot copper a couple times in CA..it works.

Thanks for the replies, if anyone else has some experience with other monolithic or lead free ammo it wouldn’t hurt to add to the post. More information to pass along good or bad results only helps us all out as hunters become more efficient. I saw some info on DRT lead free ammo today and saw it was on the game and fish approved list. Has anyone here used DRT ammo before?

They all will work, keep velocities high. McGuire seems to have the best "proven" BC. Hammers have always performed well for me and tons of people use barnes.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu