legal grounds

coyotekid87

Aug 16, 2014
D11
ok so I'm scouting around for different coyote hunting areas, what are my rights as a hunter? I'm used to hunting in national forest areas, but can I legally hunt on "public land"? My GPS is full of areas that are specified as public land but I am unsure if I'm allowed to hunt there. Thanks :)

ck87,

What's your definition of legal/public land?....BLM. NF, WA?....If it's NF or BLM, then yes you can hunt it, if there's no closures on that particular piece.....Still must be 150 yds from any dwelling, building or barn.

I usually hunt NF/BLM. I guess i am curious if anyone knows the definition of "Public Land" in relation to hunting. Like i said, my GPS is full of it but that lands are very rural.

Keep in mind that some counties have specific definitions for what constitutes public land and your ability to be on public/private land. Some counties have it easily published but others you gotta really dig for. Know your county regs as well as the state regs.

Thanks steel, ill keep that in mind. I'm not trying to get shot, arrested or prosecuted for being where i shouldn't be. Has anyone used the Trimble GPS app for smart phones? They have "Public Land" as one of the color blocks but I'm not sure if they are referring to BLM or not. I am pretty sure that the Bureau of Land Management considers BLM land as "Public Land" but do not know that for a fact. ???

I use onxmaps on my phone. It gives the specific type of land. nF, BLM, military, reservations and private parcels.

I also use onxmaps pretty dang accurate. It even shows the property owners name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Trimble app on my phone and have the public land subscription. I hunt everything that is green(national forest) and everything that is yellow(BLM).

That's correct yellow is BLM. You can also target shoot on BLM land unless otherwise posted but you cannot target shoot on national forest land.

San Bernardino County puts out a shooting map so you know where shooting what is legal. I wish all counties did this.

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/portals/1/fishandgame/2010_cnty_shooting_areas_final.pdf

Yeah fish that'd be nice, unfortunately I live in LA county where you can't do anything without someone looking at you funny... :p

coyotekid87 said:
Yeah fish that'd be nice, unfortunately I live in LA county where you can't do anything without someone looking at you funny... :p

San Diego county publish a map that specifies no shooting areas. May be LA county has the same. For sure what every one else said if you stick with NFS and BLM that is not restricted. You are safe. Key word not restricted. For example you must be 1.5 miles from any camp ground. An other here in san Diego,Mt Laguna Recreation is restricted to Archery only. And no cross bows.
Ghost

Thanks Ghost. I've been searching for LA county shooting and hunting areas and restrictions, just like the san bernadino county map, but haven't found anything...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu