Lets hear about your opening day results

Most my friends limited out by 7:15 or so at San J......Wide open for teal & spoonies.....Not so much for big ducks.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    610.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    953.3 KB · Views: 44
San Jacinto

4 limited in 18 minutes we recorded it but the footage was meh.

20151024_092008_zpsi3jofwj1.jpg

2015-10-24%2010.56.24_zpsd7per4j3.jpg

Snake Charmer said:
Hey Mazilla, looks like you own a griffon, great versatile dog. Glad to see folks thinking outside the Labrador box
- those griffons seem like great dogs. Great hunters and still more like a pet when you want them to be. Hopefully my next dog will be a Griff from high on ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Snake Charmer said:
Hey Mazilla, looks like you own a griffon, great versatile dog. Glad to see folks thinking outside the Labrador box

He is a Griff, and a wonderful dog and companion. It was worth the drive from San Diego to Idaho to pick him up.

I have to say my first duck hunting opener was too much fun ! I see now how you could get hooked on the hobby Went up to the Owens river Friday am . Had satellite pictures to find a good spot in the river . Friday after noon we selected a blind location , put that together . I have to say we made a killer blind , couldn't see out of it ! We did have a shooting window 6X3 feet with branches over it. Put out the decoys at the last 30 minutes of day lite and into night fall with flash lights ( would that be legal ?) Anyway we got up early enough ,but dirt roads at night on the Owens river can be challenging . We made it before sun up with flashlights to our blind and waited ! At shooting light , the morning was crisp , the air was clean and fresh it was 48 degrees out,, then gun shots about 12 rounds rang out to break the silence ! My buddy and I didn't pull the trigger , but 4 guys jump shooting the river unloaded on my decoys they sank 2 goose decoys and 1 mallard . I started to yell before they could reload . And they shot over the blind . Another guy at 9.30 shot at one decoy again . I had to laugh however , they looked so real ! I guess Most folks up there do the jump shooting thing No birds landed on our spread , but we sat in the blind for 11 hours . I think we flared 7 geese ,and two ducks we jumped out of the blind to fast . I read a lot about duck hunting and I even had the ducks unlimited bird ID on my phone , and I think I was guessing about the Identity of the waterfowl over head . It was like going back to six years old , wondering how I would tell the fish apart with a hand painted but printed copy of world book encyclopedia in hand ( or the fish and game copy ) We had our chances as many birds flew over us , behind the blind ,some in front , some in range, many out of range . I knew there are geese there because I fish the river five times a year for trout and see them as we drift down the river . We had wood ducks , saw 2 malards , , we saw lots of geese , big groups 10 to 15 up high heading to Tinemaha dam for cover in the weeds at the north end of the lake . Now we did talk to a local hunter ,he said the migrating birds were not there yet . Good times

dhntr48 said:
I have to say my first duck hunting opener was too much fun ! I see now how you could get hooked on the hobby Went up to the Owens river Friday am . Had satellite pictures to find a good spot in the river . Friday after noon we selected a blind location , put that together . I have to say we made a killer blind , couldn't see out of it ! We did have a shooting window 6X3 feet with branches over it. Put out the decoys at the last 30 minutes of day lite and into night fall with flash lights ( would that be legal ?) Anyway we got up early enough ,but dirt roads at night on the Owens river can be challenging . We made it before sun up with flashlights to our blind and waited ! At shooting light , the morning was crisp , the air was clean and fresh it was 48 degrees out,, then gun shots about 12 rounds rang out to break the silence ! My buddy and I didn't pull the trigger , but 4 guys jump shooting the river unloaded on my decoys they sank 2 goose decoys and 1 mallard . I started to yell before they could reload . And they shot over the blind . Another guy at 9.30 shot at one decoy again . I had to laugh however , they looked so real ! I guess Most folks up there do the jump shooting thing No birds landed on our spread , but we sat in the blind for 11 hours . I think we flared 7 geese ,and two ducks we jumped out of the blind to fast . I read a lot about duck hunting and I even had the ducks unlimited bird ID on my phone , and I think I was guessing about the Identity of the waterfowl over head . It was like going back to six years old , wondering how I would tell the fish apart with a hand painted but printed copy of world book encyclopedia in hand ( or the fish and game copy ) We had our chances as many birds flew over us , behind the blind ,some in front , some in range, many out of range . I knew there are geese there because I fish the river five times a year for trout and see them as we drift down the river . We had wood ducks , saw 2 malards , , we saw lots of geese , big groups 10 to 15 up high heading to Tinemaha dam for cover in the weeds at the north end of the lake . Now we did talk to a local hunter ,he said the migrating birds were not there yet . Good times

I'd be pretty pissed about that...hopefully they at least apologized and offered to pay for the damage. I have yet to shoot a decoy, but if I do I intend to try and make it right.

I'm glad to hear you had a great time otherwise.

Those are some nice pictures of your hunt , love your dog . I love all dogs , but a dog that could hunt would always have a spot in the heart . What did you use for a blind ?

Limits in about an hour. Best Ive seen at wister in a long time! Bag consisted of spoonies (figures) teal pintails ring necks and widgeon.

Sounds like you all slayed the ducks. I wish the duck season opened on a different day I wanted to kill ducks but killing a buck has to be a priority over ducks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wak em and stak em said:
Limits in about an hour. Best Ive seen at wister in a long time! Bag consisted of spoonies (figures) teal pintails ring necks and widgeon.
Sounds like everyone did well. That's great news. How did you hold up, Tyler? Hope you had someone else retrieving for you buddy!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu