Lion attack up north

The tree huggers were loving it on FB, most of the comments were pro Mt. Lion, and most of them have no idea what shed hunting is.

The news report I saw had the headline “Hunter Killed By Mt Lion”. So immediately many FB types are going to think “score one for the lions!”

Shed hunting means there must be deer or elk somewhere around. I have to wonder why they weren't carrying a firearm or at least bear spray. Like Ed F said, inexperienced.

• Sad
Reactions: garlicsalt
That Lion is already dead. Regardless, people have every right to enjoy the outdoors. You just need to be prepared. You never know what kind of animal may decide to make you its next dinner. Bear spray or pistol will at least give you a chance. I don’t even jog cross country without a can of Bear Mace.

John

Growing up in So Cal we never even thought to bring a gun or bear spray when camping, hiking, fishing. It all changed a few years after the ban went into effect.

Growing up in So Cal we never even thought to bring a gun or bear spray when camping, hiking, fishing. It all changed a few years after the ban went into effect.
I have seen Mountain Lions twice in the same week in D16 in two different areas and in daylight. There are more out there then people think. Keep your head on swivel. They attack from behind and like most land predators they go for the face and neck.

John

Reactions: Brooksie
Having your throat ripped out while hearing the heavy breathing and having that slobber and smell be your last thought and sense would suck..I can kinda relate...at least to the throat part .but they put it all back together nicely..

This happened very close to my place.

Lost a good kid, and this explains alot.

No firearms due to fear of harassment from mr. green jeans and avid outdoorsmen!

RIP!!

• Sad
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
The power of a mountain is formidable. They make it sound like it was a young lion. Maybe 90 pounds. A 90 pound lion can kill any sized dude as long as it has a good grip. It is Turkey season. Those of us that will be out there keep in mind you are calling and you will have decoys out. Keep your back up against a tree and stay alert. Mountains lions do come in for a look. Seen Bobcats and Coyotes go right after my decoy. Bring a side arm. You never freaking know. Tired of the same line. Mountain Lions rarely attack or kill people. It is rare until they come after you or someone you personally know. Such bullshit. They are afraid of us? Really? Why? We are on the menu. They are not.

John

I'm in D15 and have friends that put out trail cameras as a hobby to get pics of Mt. Lions. They are EVERYWHERE in D15 (Santa Ana Mtns). some of them get really big like M316 (UC david studies them and collars them). Because they are not managed they run out of new territory for the young males. Just like the lion that ended up in Laguna Beach at Broadway and PCH @ 9:00pm (which is the same lion that was tranqed in an Irvine business strip mall earlier that year).. unfortunately it will get worse. D15 was where the last fatal attack in CA occurred (whiting ranch) 2004.

The "16" is loaded with them as well...I have yet to see one in the wild, but just about everyone I know have...Lots of cam pics and tracks though........ ;)

ps....Too be honest, I really never think about lions...Now, rattlesnakes?...They make me nervous......o_O

turkey hunt 4-19-12 001.JPG

lion 3-16-24.JPG

I was turkey hunting up north buy King City, and twice I Called them into my set up, another time I called in a bob Cat, I'm just lucky. one ran off when I shot my shotgun in the air. They other saw me and decided sitting down would be a good idea. I was shooting 3.5 mag. 4x6 duplex load. I stood up and yelled at him and he ran off. Awhile later I head some noise behind me, I turned and three coyotes were chasing the cat, they treed him in a big oak tree, he ran to the far end of a thick branch and jumped across a dirt road and up the him he went.. The rancher got pissed at me for not SSS the cat. I told him with the shotgun I may have just wounded him and then he would have a wounded cat to deal with. Cats had killed several of his calfs.

The cat would have flopped at least the two pit bulls that were killing my steers did with lead 6s

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu