Lion following you. What would you do????

Knock on wood.......But seeing or being attacked by lions is about the farthest thing from my mind while hunting......I have literally spend my entire life in these and other mountains and have never even see a lion other than driving (3).

ilovesprig said:
Knock on wood.......But seeing or being attacked by lions is about the farthest thing from my mind while hunting......I have literally spend my entire life in these and other mountains and have never even see a lion other than driving (3).
Geez you have a shortage of lions where you hunt I've seen 3 this year hiking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D16hunter said:
ilovesprig said:
Geez you have a shortage of lions where you hunt I've seen 3 this year hiking

Luke,

I hunt the same D-16 as you do and have them on camera quite frequently.....Maybe I'm not as observant as you..... :-[

Know wonder I never shoot anything........ ;)

ilovesprig said:
Lungpopper said:
OK so Brad gets up there with me and its obvious this lion is getting closer. Without really thinking about it I tell Brad watch this.
I take off running right at it as fast as I could. About half way there this lion is holding his ground and I think this is going to be a fight, but I'm committed so its going to happen. I can see the cat clearly at this point and I'm gaining ground quick.
Luckily at around 15-10 yards it turned and ran.

It must have finally seen your grill..........j/k......... :D

ps.....I'm still throwing rocks...... ;)

Lmao!

Darryl, I think you did the right thing, It's been my experience that when you approach a predator head on they leave. As you very well know most animals are intimidated by humans and when they know they have been made will usually back down. Predators rely on stealth and surprise and when the scenario does not go they way they expect they back away. I've tried to approach a lion but not been successful because I'm not as stealthy as they are and have always had them leave quickly when they realize they are being stalked.

I dont know what i would do unarmed but armed he would have been shot at. Better to appear in court than in a casket.

I would aggressively approach it. Knowing my luck I would have hit him right in the eye. In this CA someone would see or hear about it and then I'm getting charged with animal cruelty/battery.

This past September New Mexico I was tracking my elk I arrowed and it was late. My buddy rushed down maybe 20 yards startled saying there were eyes watching him. I had a feeling it was my elks eyes he was seeing. So I put my surefire light in the direction and sure enough there were eyes. It's head was bobbing and weaving to some beat I couldn't hear. I still had a itch that it was my elk delirious in a bush. So we approached it with two lights on it. Once with got within 10yards the reflective eyes turned and vanished without a noise. Neither of of saw it from behind the brush. I was bummed it wasn't my elk and my buddy was more startled now because it was most likely a lion. Not sure if he was stalking us or my elk.

I carry pepper spray and a air horn, whenever I go out with the dog or running. Its pretty surprising how quick a charging animal will stop when the air horn blares. I don't let my 9yr carry a pepper spray but he does carry the xs size air horn, I have it strapped to his camelbak. Plus its good if he ever gets lost.

I think the air horn startles the hell out of man and beast.

KingSlug

You should let it get you we could've used you as a poster child to try to get hunting rights back a nice little lung popper face on a poster

Sdbirds said:
You should let it get you we could've used you as a poster child to try to get hunting rights back a nice little lung popper face on a poster
Hahahahaha only you would say that Johnny

If throwing sticks and rocks and shouting at it didn't scare it off, then carefully approaching it in a menacing manner with a stick in hand might be my approach. I like what you did, and I'm glad it worked. I think I would only run at it if I had a knife or other stabbing weapon- if it didn't chicken out, I might have to fight for my life.

I always hunt with my partner, we always carrie knifes but if big cat is following me and i have a gun i know and god knows that will use, my life is first.

Hamstring my buddy and uh.....nm no one will ever invite me hunting. I'm never unarmed sooo there is that.
I'm not convinced charging an apex predator who is used to being around people (think Cleveland national forest) and inducing its fight or flight response praying for the flight response would be my first choice. But running would definitely not work either for the same reason. Think Cleveland national forest kitty eats yearly mountain biker.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu