LOCAL BUCKS

I know you can't see everything but what I admire about him is how freaking tall his main beams are! He's out at least 2" past his ears and more than twice that in height. The mass is a bit weak and the eye guards are nonexistent. (Nothing like your buck. Did you do a drug test on him. Steriods?).

I'm was putting this dude at 21"-22" wide and 18"-19" tall. If he is a genuine 4x4 I was going to guess a green score of 114-118. Wishful thinking tends to add 10-20 points though.

I value your opinion. Thanks!

I guess I'm going to have to search for one of his sheds.

If he is a 4x4 with that wide frame I would guess a green score of 110- 115. But I'm looking at it on my phone.

Nice buck.

To make it easy I just rounded everything off.

Here is what I "GUESSED" at.

I could not see G1's - G3's or G4's

19" wide = 17"credit
20" mains x 2=40" (I think I'm being generous right here)
13" circumference x 2=26"
9" G2's x 2=18"

Totals 101"

If there are G1-G3-G4 it would add a whole lot more to the score of this buck.
I just cant see them in the picture.

I'D STILL SHOOT IT.

Very scientific Lungpopper. I concede to your superior scoring skills. 101 it is.

So, now that he's three years older... (Just kidding.)

The genetics in your hunting area are outstanding.

Did the fires touch your hunting areas? (Don't reply if this is uncomfortable.)

If so, did you notice a big difference in the antler size in the years that followed? In my honey holes the fires had a huge impact. The bucks horns seemed to double in in height, width and mass. I'm wondering if they peaked last year. Hopefully not.

Yes the fires burned through the area.

I think they made a difference. The last three years I have seen REALLY GOOD BUCKS. This year I've only seen a couple over 100". Seems like they are smaller...(less mass) That's just what I've seen so far. Who knows what could show up next month.

Shot this guy back in 2000. After shooting him I was so focused on big bucks I didn't shoot anything for the next couple of seasons.
So I'm starting over. I have never shot a doe, so I'm starting there with the A22 and then we will see what happens with the D16.

Sorry pics of pics, they are not very good.

Attachments

• 117.JPG
    117.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 67
Another gorgeous buck Darryl.

I'm the same way. If I don't see the right one its better for me to pass rather than feel regret for shooting a dink. I haven't killed a deer since 2008. My girls make up for it though. They've put two bucks down in each of the last two years so there's plenty our venison sticks in the freezer.

I like the doe hunting thing. Its the best way to get into archery for a rifle hunter. There's no pressure to find a set of horns, you feel the exhilaration of being close to the animal and you can relax more and enjoy the sport. Its good for herd management too.

That's cool your daughters are into hunting. My son has shot a couple of bucks but he doesn't like to get bloody so I end up doing the work. He likes the coyote hunting better. My daughter likes to shoot but she doesn't want to hunt.

Like I have said more than once: "Your a Stone Killer Lungpopper"

Yeah, I hear ya Lungpoper. Its tough to get the girls out from under their mother's skirts. Fortunately for my clan my wife was okay with it and my kids took to the sport enthusiastically. In the teens I noticed a little disinterest so I didn't force it on them. But when hunting season rolled around they always wanted to go.

Its tough to get the kids to do the dirty work so I just forced it on them when they were little. Now there down with it.

Some are keepers and some ya gotta through back. At least I finally got horns on one of my trail cams. :-[

Attachments

• SUNP0001.JPG
    SUNP0001.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 44
Great pictures guys. You got me pumped up for this weekends opener.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu