Local Trainers?

QuackerSmacker

Jan 23, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
I'm in a bit of a predicament... I've got an 8 month old "English Style" chocolate lab pup that I've had since 8 weeks of age. I bought him out of Atlanta and he's got good lines from what I can see and the research that I've done. I paid quite a bit of money for him (in my opinion) with the intention of making him into a great all around hunting partner as well as a family dog (I'm sure this story has been told a million times haha). Well, my wife just had our first child and I just don't feel like I'm giving the dog the attention that he needs to make a good bird dog out of him. I work with him 3-4 times per week for 15-20 minutes per session (the appropriate amount of time from what I've read). I'm wondering what it would cost to have him trained/ finished and who this group would recommend. I've taught him the basics so far (sit, stay, come, heal, fetch and he responds to the whistle). My goal is to have a dog that I can take to the field to sniff out quail and pheasant in the fall and that will retrieve ducks from a blind in the winter... An "all around hunting dog"... He's been in the water and is a great swimmer... Let me know what you guys think! Thanks

Hello and welcome im pretty new to the site as well. I actually have the same type of problem with my 6month old german pointer. every one here pointed me to http://www.socalnavhda.com/ i spoke with Patricia, the president and they are more then willing to help train for free or become a member of the club and spend time with them and get much more training and help for the long haul. they are in the indland empire area about a 60mile drive for me in north LA county but so far sounds pretty good for a low cost alternative. If thats not an option or is paying is no problem there lots of really good guides out there im sure some one can point you in that direction. What area are you in. maybe we can run our dogs together some time.

happy hunting

Yeah, I read that thread and looked at that Association. I'm a member of a million different associations and I don't have a problem joining another. I hunt the Inland Empire several times per year and after paying $130 in gas for each round trip several times a month, for a little more money, I might as well hire a trainer... That's my logic at least haha. We'll see what a trainer costs!

Cant take a lab to the versatile dog people they will turn their nose at you. They will get on you for trying to hunt with a brown lab too. If you do not want to do it your self this guy turns out great dogs.

http://raneyranchretrievers.com/ I have hunted over his dogs and they are nothing short of amazing...

if you want to do it your self get the Fowl Dogs DVD 1 and 2 and go for it your self. If you are taking your dog out 4 times a week you are way ahead of most folks. Truth is training never stops, at home or in the field you always train.

I agree pretty much a good trainer is worth a great hunting dog. I was going to use primm and proper pointers for mine but some unexpected big costs came up. A new transmission for my work car and some other stuff. So now I'm on a training budget.

Thanks Aeon, I bought the "Game Dog" DVD and have read 3/4 of the "Game Dog" book by Richard Wolters. Are you familiar with these? From what I've heard talking to people, the "Wolters Method" is the only way to go... What are your thoughts? Do you know how the Fowl Dogs method differs? Thanks for all of the input!

Aeon - For the record, I've got a 9 year old black lab too. I've never owned a chocolate and thought I'd give one a try. He's a handsome little man to boot.

Uplandfam - That's a bummer about the unexpected expenses but that's life.

Attachments

• 20140121_120950.jpg
    20140121_120950.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
Yes it is life. 15 years ago I bought a golden that I used for duck water retrieving. He was great at it an soo easy to train. Pointing seams much more involved.

My granddad always had Brittany Spaniels and man were they great bird dogs! I was never involved with any of the training but when I hunted over them they were great. I'm sure it's a testament to his patience and diligence. I am doing more and more duck hunting plus I have a family now so the lab is kind of the perfect breed for me I think. Good luck with your pooch!

1964 called they want their Wolters book back......He is far from the BEST dog trainer ever. His methods were questionable 50 years ago

The Fowldogs program is just that a program. Start to finish step by step no skipping allowed method to train with. it will take you from point A to point B with great confidence. Do not skip anything and complete each step.. even the Force breaking. It's just not that hard. Get a E collar and follow his direction exactly on how to implement it. He takes great care to show you how to deal with personality types that can hinder or wreck training if not take care with.

It will not hurt that you read wolters book or watch his DVD. Take that then watch a modern training program and the choice will be very apparent right away. What area do you live? if you are close by you could come by and watch a bit of it and see.....

:)

QS, definitely consider Snake Charmer. High on Kennels has a great facility and some of the best trainers in the industry. Cant go wrong.

Nothing wrong with wolters. I've use it and 10 minute retriever. It sounds like you've got a great foundation. If it can sit, come, stay, heal thats what you'll always use. If he is on the whistle cool. He's still young. Learn to read him. Use his strengths. All about his confidence in himself and you. It does take time for him to "get" it.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys! A quick update... I went ahead and bought Fowl Dawgs 1 and 2 to compare to the Wolters method. There are a lot of similarities but what Fowl Dawgs has that Wolters doesn't is better organization. I like how the Fowl Dawgs dvd presents its step by step program. It's easy to follow and extremely informative and the biggest thing they stress is patience, a common principle. Anyways, I think I'm going to continue on with my training at least for the time being and see how it goes. We just started the 'hold' command yesterday before we ease into force fetching. Wish me luck!

Professional training will cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 (plus birds, etc.) per month. 5 years ago, I bought my first dog, also a chocolate lab. It's not about the color of the dog's coat, it's the drive, trainability, desire to please, etc., in the dog that will make or break him as a hunting partner.

A pro will be able to take your dog farther, faster, than you will be able to do in your limited time. A dedicated amateur can do just as good or better, but it really starts taking over your life! Don't get me wrong, I highly recommend doing it yourself. But if you can't, and you have the money, a good trainer might be the way to go.

My dog is at high on kennels right now up in Santa ysabel. The owner "snake charmer" who pm'd you earlier is very helpful I would highly recommend you touching base with him to see if they would be a good fit for you. If you have the means but not a lot of time it's a great way to get your dog started. The plus side of having them train your dog is that you get trained as well and get to work with your dog.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu