Long range hunting survey

When did you start shooting game past 350 yards

• Total voters

KoozeDeer

Jul 18, 2016
Fellas, I’m gather some harvest data back to 2007 in the state if Arizona. What I am looking to do is determine if long range hunting has had an increase or decrease on the over all success rates of hunters over the years. My question is this, for those of you who hunt big game let’s say 350 yards and beyond. At what time did you start shooting game at extended distances? I am looking at the data at 3 units to determine the change. I am looking at a same hunt dates in the 3 different units, in this case I am looking at the October hunt. Currently I see fluctuation between 3-4% most years. The years 2015, and 2016 show a big bump @7-10%. Things drop back to 3-4% after that. This increase could be attributed to rainfall which I have not researched yet. When did you guys start hunting at extended distances?

I practice at the range to 600, and just have fun smacking steel, but now that I think about it, iv never shot a big game animal with my rifle past 200. Few yotes way out but I like the idea of putting the cross hairs on the sweet spot or throat for my @HATCHET1 and kapooowwwww!!!!!!

Can you describe what the issues were? I’m guessing it was the non mandatory reporting?

Yeah, you nailed it. I noticed huge differences in harvest success from year to year when I was compiling historical data using the AZGFD archives and other tools. I asked GoHunt about that and basically, the data collection was terrible prior to 2019. They would publish stats with an inadequate amount of surveys filled out. If you look at UT the trends will probably be more accurate.

Yeah, you nailed it. I noticed huge differences in harvest success from year to year when I was compiling historical data using the AZGFD archives and other tools. I asked GoHunt about that and basically, the data collection was terrible prior to 2019. They would publish stats with an inadequate amount of surveys filled out. If you look at UT the trends will probably be more accurate.
That’s a good idea!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu