Looking for 15 season mentor San Diego

JohnB

Jan 4, 2015
Hi all- Have started looking at CA hunting as I will be moving to SD this summer. Between work schedule and move timing I'll likely have little time to scout, which is a shame since I'm brand new to hunting aside from a guided trip here in VA that got me a doe for holiday meals- Now hooked but need an experienced mentor for the upcoming 15 season!! I've enjoyed looking around and hope to meet some folks once I get out there in July!

Invisible man said:
Might I suggest that you spend 2015 scouting and getting familiar with your new area so you can put together a solid plan for 2016.

+1...............And welcome to SCH

Thanks all- Any feedback on the state "advanced hunter courses" that I've seen advertised around in addition to the state licensing courses? I found a book on topo interpretation that I'm planning on getting, what else are good books in addition that could supplement? Thanks already and I appreciate any advice!

I don't know anything about "advanced hunter courses"......But seems pretty simple to me.......Buy Cleveland NF map and BLM maps.......The wildlife areas in SD are well marked and any info you need about them you can get right here on this site.

There's also apps for people who have them fancy phones that tell you who owns the properties (government, tribal, private, etc.).....Pretty darn neat in my book........ ;D

Welcome JohnB. You'll need the BLM and CNF maps Steve mentioned. Also check out the sticky threads in the newbie den for great info, including Steve's "commandments" and the "noobs start here" thread. Here is another great thread with a great book recommendation for deer hunting: http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=4793

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu