Looking for deer advice

cripple

Jul 13, 2013
So it has been awhile since I have been hunting, but this year I have some extra money and thought I would give deer hunting a shot. I have been up in zone D15 near where I live and have found a water source and what I think is evidence of deer. Here are some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/J08Pw
The tracks looks like deer to me as do the droppings however they are kinda small. As a total CA deer hunting noob I am just curious if these are good signs, and if heading up there some early mornings or evenings would be worth it. I should also mention it rained about a week ago where I found the tracks and droppings so they seem fresh.

Definitely deer tracks and a repeat offender in terms of scat (there's more than one age of scat in the photo).
Seems very dry and deserty so if I were a deer and I were there I'd want to know the nearest watering hole.

Find a spot where you can see that area from above.

Best of luck!
October 24th can't get here soon enough ;)

DanSanDiego

DanSanDiego said:
Definitely deer tracks and a repeat offender in terms of scat (there's more than one age of scat in the photo).
Seems very dry and deserty so if I were a deer and I were there I'd want to know the nearest watering hole.

Best of luck!

DanSanDiego

There is a water source very close, but the strange thing is I haven't seen any evidence of deer near it.

cripple said:
DanSanDiego said:

Best of luck!

DanSanDiego

There is a water source very close, but the strange thing is I haven't seen any evidence of deer near it.

hmmm maybe predator near by.
it's tough out there. same as we found lots of water very few sign.
keep at it . public land is tough.

Ghost

So I dont know deer habits very well. How far can they move in a day? I find tons of evidence but the only deer I runinto are about 5 miles away, outside where I can shoot. Do they wander that far? I havent found any rubbing so I assume those does are who leave the evidence I find. Will bucks wander in the area when the rut starts?

They know where (and when) they are safe. If you can find does, the rut will bring the boys around during hunting hours.

Bonejour said:
They know where (and when) they are safe. If you can find does, the rut will bring the boys around during hunting hours.

Thats what Ithought. So the bucks will come around where I cant touch them.

It seems like you are on the right track. Find the does, and look for high ground above, to hunt from.

Bonejour said:
It seems like you are on the right track. Find the does, and look for high ground above, to hunt from.

Probkem is I cant seem to find them in the area I can hunt.

Bonejour said:
Is there a food source and shelter?

Ya, it is actually pretty overgrown right now with rain we have had. They just seem to prefer to hang out beyond where I can shoot.

D-15 is hilly like most the areas of SoCal.....Find a high vantage point, sit, and watch.....If the deer are in areas you can't hunt, leave it, or get as close as possible to it.....Let the deer do the moving in that thick stuff. Get above them and look down......2 cents.

Good luck...... ;)

ps.....Small dropping mean small deer. Same with tracks.....This is a buck track.

Attachments

• wister 10-27-10 001.JPG
    wister 10-27-10 001.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • washington  elk 2011 ll 001.JPG
    washington elk 2011 ll 001.JPG
    985.1 KB · Views: 10

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu