Looking to do some pig hunting in southern California

Todd1817

Dec 28, 2015
Just looking for a little info on pig hunting in california that does not cost 625 to 550

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2dogs1name
There are no wild free roam pigs in Socal. The state eradicated the pigs in San Diego and with the drought they did a pretty good job of it. There are no pigs in OC or LA county. The closest BLM with pigs is in the central coast. Sucks but 500 to 600 is the low end of what it cost to kill a pig. There is the NOT free roam option of bighorn canyon but its not the same. Wait a few years after we have good rain again and we might have pigs again in socal.

public land pig hunting is on the same level as killing a 350" bull elk on public land. There are people who do it but damn few and far between.
Giant sequoia guide service can take you on a great hunt! check them out http://giantsequoiaguideservice.com/

There are no wild free roam pigs in Socal. The state eradicated the pigs in San Diego and with the drought they did a pretty good job of it. There are no pigs in OC or LA county. The closest BLM with pigs is in the central coast. Sucks but 500 to 600 is the low end of what it cost to kill a pig. There is the NOT free roam option of bighorn canyon but its not the same. Wait a few years after we have good rain again and we might have pigs again in socal.

public land pig hunting is on the same level as killing a 350" bull elk on public land. There are people who do it but damn few and far between.
Giant sequoia guide service can take you on a great hunt! check them out http://giantsequoiaguideservice.com/
Can we make a thread called SoCal pig hunting and just post this post. This topic comes up at least once a month. It stinks but hunting public land pigs is just a waste of your time

There is a ton of pigs behind the prado dam. Before long they will be in chino hills state park no doubt

There is a ton of pigs behind the prado dam. Before long they will be in chino hills state park no doubt

They have been there for years, but I don't know one person who's ever shot one....Santa Ana River is pretty much a jungle and access is tough to say the least.

They have been there for years, but I don't know one person who's ever shot one....Santa Ana River is pretty much a jungle and access is tough to say the least.
Where would one gain access into the Santa Ana River.

Those pigs have been there since the 70's when the Farmer John plant was running.....too bad you can't hunt it legally

Plain and simple. You can't. I've done more research on trying to find a way to hunt those pigs then I did in all of high school. There is not a legal way to hunt them.

Plain and simple. You can't. I've done more research on trying to find a way to hunt those pigs then I did in all of high school. There is not a legal way to hunt them.
I have been reading a lot and it sounds like a great place to hunt pigs. Parkermann you are correct legal seems to be the number one answer.

If you are going to hunt the river go ahead and get a jump on stuff and wear an orange jumpsuit. That way you won't have to change when you get to Santa Ana. And you ARE going to Santa Ana.

Reactions: steveo007
They get killed at times on some of those properties that border the river. Shoot, I have seen a dead hog on Euclid.

Everyone here is right, been there for years. All tied up in unhuntable county parks and easements. They have done a little golf course damage here and there, but nothing major.

Just buy one and chase it in the backyard. It will give you your fix daily.

uploadfromtaptalk1471304472615.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

From my understandings there is one way in one way out into that riverbed and a decent size area to hunt.very few people know about it and keep it hush but it is legal with a bow.

Reactions: Goyaałé
From my understandings there is one way in one way out into that riverbed and a decent size area to hunt.very few people know about it and keep it hush but it is legal with a bow.

BowHuntinCali - Where do you see that it is legal to hunt down in that riverbed with a bow?

So I'm going to head out with a friend tomorrow towards the San Luis Obispo/Santa Barbara area. You did say the Coastal areas have a possibility.

My question is: What's a good area to scout?

And yes I'm a noob lol

do you have maps? did you put onx maps on your phone?

this book can help you.

ill share this story again,
when i was in my umm 20s, yes kids that was in the 1990s. i wanted to kill a pig on public land bad! i had a job that let me get away often and i was in top shape. I rode my mtn bike from 50 to 100 miles a week so i could stomp up hills no problem. I got a pig hunting book and piles of topo maps. i researched every chunk of public land. i found water holes where you had to hike miles up hill into the back country. in the year that i gave it my all i saw a total of zero pigs. I did see lots of deer, coyotes, the occasional turkey and other random critters but never a pig. my effort was not wasted i did get poison oak often and the ever present ticks chewed on me, this was before Lyme disease thank god. i had fun and learned a lot about hunting but had very little to show for it.

Are there pigs on public land? YES but damn they are tough to kill. a public land pig kill is pretty equal to taking a book class deer in the rocky mountains. People do it all the time but its freaking hard.

so to answer your question AV, There are no good areas to scout. There are areas you are allowed to hunt and that is mostly BLM land. having a MAP is a must!!!!!! if you stray onto private land you will be nailed. Locals do not like trespassers up that way and its a constant problem so there is no grace given.

my fave spot was a chunk of blm land south west of laguna peek in Benito county. that is south west of Hernandez Reservoir. It had water and and food and all the parts a pig would need. I think if i had lived closer and spent every damn day i could i have closed the deal :)

So I'm going to head out with a friend tomorrow towards the San Luis Obispo/Santa Barbara area. You did say the Coastal areas have a possibility.

My question is: What's a good area to scout?

And yes I'm a noob lol

Get a map. Look for public land on the map, go check it out. Nobody's gonna just simply give out info for wild pig hunting on public.. this weekend is a prime weekend to go hunt pigs though, I'll be out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu