looking to find a butcher near my

DEW_0341

Apr 19, 2015
This will be my first year deer hunting in California and I'm looking for suggestions on someone or some place that can process my meat if In fact harvest a deer this year. I live in san Clemente southern orange county.

The main website has the info you're looking for.

LA area
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=123

SD area
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=77&Itemid=123

Do it yourself a lot cheaper........the price down here is getting out of control lately.....

If you do take it to a meat cutter for processing, take the time to bone it yourself. They charge you a huge amount to de-bone it and I think they waste far more meat than I do. So I do it myself: a good knife and blade sharpener.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll go ahead and gain some more knowledge on it and take it upon myself! Nothing better than completing the whole process yourself I suppose!!

Is it possible to get more info on de-boning? Does that just mean cutting all the meat off the bones (even the ribs) or is it the legs only. When I watch videos of cleaning a deer they cut it into chunks (quartering) but don't from there they go right into processing the meat.
I plan to use a butcher, but would like to do as much myself as possible.

I found several videos on YouTube. So I'm all set.
It looks like a lot of fun - like unpacking 60+ lbs of meat in value packs from the grocery store.

The rib meat is not worth the effort the butcher will most likely just give it back to you as scraps.....I leave it in the field for the wildlife to enjoy

sorry guys I like the whole deer. just my two cents. gutted, skinned, and the head removed. I understand weight has a big factor for lugging it out. I put the extra effort to lug the whole deer out. I like the bone in my venison. I know it's a lot of work .
I like the flavor of the bone in my stews, barbecue. and yes I like butchering my deer. save ton of money, and save lots of more meat.

Ghost

MJB said:
The rib meat is not worth the effort the butcher will most likely just give it back to you as scraps.....I leave it in the field for the wildlife to enjoy
Yeah by the time I get down to the ribs on a deer there's not enough meat left on them to be worth the effort of preserving them. Boned out, the hams on a good sized buck mule deer go about 12lbs each side when you take them off the aitch bone (pelvis, which resembles an "H" when seen from the front; hence the name). The butts (shoulder quarters) are more trouble to de-bone because of the shoulder blade, but if you include everything from elbow up, with brisket and everything else but the backstrap, it should be about the same amount of meat as the hindquarter. (Don't forget the tenderloins on the underside of the spine, opposite the back straps.)
The shanks (below the elbow and below the knee) can stay on the bone, which adds flavor during cooking. Freeze them, and later you can braise them to tenderize all the tendon. Basically that's "stinco", or if you cross-cut it, "osso bucco". Great stuff.
Of course any or all of these cuts can be taken to a butcher to make your favorite sausage or jerky, or ground meat. But really, why let them have all the fun?

Bonejour said:
MJB said:
Yeah by the time I get down to the ribs on a deer there's not enough meat left on them to be worth the effort of preserving them. Boned out, the hams on a good sized buck mule deer go about 12lbs each side when you take them off the aitch bone (pelvis, which resembles an "H" when seen from the front; hence the name). The butts (shoulder quarters) are more trouble to de-bone because of the shoulder blade, but if you include everything from elbow up, with brisket and everything else but the backstrap, it should be about the same amount of meat as the hindquarter. (Don't forget the tenderloins on the underside of the spine, opposite the back straps.)
The shanks (below the elbow and below the knee) can stay on the bone, which adds flavor during cooking. Freeze them, and later you can braise them to tenderize all the tendon. Basically that's "stinco", or if you cross-cut it, "osso bucco". Great stuff.
Of course any or all of these cuts can be taken to a butcher to make your favorite sausage or jerky, or ground meat. But really, why let them have all the fun?

My grama eve was an expert at butchering. nothing was waisted. And I only remember half of what she knew.
She had all the tools. Hand saws, meat grinder, knives. We would make all the cuts, like Round steaks,rib eye,venison ribs, fillet mignon, tbone, sirloin, ground meat, and stew meat, all that good stuff. I forgot some of that. Wrap and pack in freezer paper, and mark the cuts on the packaged meat. We spend the Entire afternoon and work as team.
To each his or her own i guess. But I waste nothing,

Ghost said:
My grama eve was an expert at butchering. nothing was waisted. And I only remember half of what she knew.
She had all the tools. Hand saws, meat grinder, knives. We would make all the cuts, like Round steaks,rib eye,venison ribs, fillet mignon, tbone, sirloin, ground meat, and stew meat, all that good stuff. I forgot some of that. Wrap and pack in freezer paper, and mark the cuts on the packaged meat. We spend the Entire afternoon and work as team.
She must have been one cool lady. Love that pic of you and her with your buck.

Bonejour said:
Ghost said:
She must have been one cool lady. Love that pic of you and her with your buck.

Yep I miss her dearly. Fond memories. She had big heart. To teach a wet nosed kid

Look at some youtube videos. There are plenty that show you exactly where to cut. And buy one or two decent knives. Also, forget the butcher paper and come into the 21st century. Gamesavers are $100 now or less. You can keep the meat fresh in the freezer for more than 2 years.

If you are still thinking about a butcher I have a cautionary tale for you. I took a 130 lb buck a few years ago and so did my buddy. He didn't want to cut meat so he took it to the butcher. He got about 35-45 lbs back. I had close to 80 and didn't bother with 'rib meat' (on a small deer there isn't enough for tacos). Be ware!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu