Mc Cain Valley

dusty

Nov 9, 2012
Went to Mc Cain Valley yesterday, never been out there before. Looking for birds, saw a few as i drove in just off the paved road. Figured i would at least get a few. Never saw anymore. I did see a coyote at a 300 yards or so going up a hill only had my shotgun, he gets to live another day. My dog Tanner was with me (new to hunting) froze solid staring in to some brush. I checked it out and turns up to be a set of rattles from an old large snake. I'm just stoke he did not move in on it and stayed still and the snake wasn't attached. All that training with a few pissed off gopher snakes paid off.....Any how i explored around for a few hours and found two huge coveys, unfortunately one of them was next to the campground and the other was on the way out off the paved road next to the 8. All in all was a nice day to be out.

Thanks for the concern, he seen rattlesnakes before while on leash, been working with him for over two years now..We are well up to 30+ encounters with rattle snakes, I have got him scared of just about any snake now. And he hates trantulas too!!!!

josec said:
id listen to snake charmer, he knows his stuff :)
Im not doubting the snake charmer, i'm pretty sure he got that name for a reason. Just saying i have seen my dog come face to face with a few rattlers, he smells em before before i can see them. He has always backed away with his tail between his legs. This spring we are taking him to an avoidance class. For piece of mind.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu