Mid Day Turkey

QuePasaJames

Nov 8, 2016
I haven't killed a turkey in 3 seasons, so I took advantage of this Jake that came in!

The preseason scouting paid off. When the season started, I found this guy in the exact same spot. On my first attempt in, I tried to get a shock gobble out of him to locate his position, but he wouldn't talk. So as I slipped in to the area I wanted to be in, he was already there with a hen and I spooked them. While they were gone, I cleared some brush under a tree so my next entry would be a quieter one.
A few days go by before I could get back in there. I was worried that they had left the area, but I decided to sit anyways. No shock gobbles on my way in. My sit lasted 25 minutes, only soft calling with some clucks and purrs, and one soft yelp to answer a hen I had heard. Out of nowhere, this dude gobbles less than 100 yards away, so I answer him with some clucks. He fires off another gobble immediately, and I answer back with more clucks. 2 minutes later, There he is, just shy of 40 yards, and I give him the Hevi Shot magnum blend! Right at the peak of the solar eclipse! These birds sure have some beautiful plumage.

tempImageqfs3VC.png
tempImagejHKLp5.png

I haven't killed a turkey in 3 seasons, so I took advantage of this Jake that came in!

The preseason scouting paid off. When the season started, I found this guy in the exact same spot. On my first attempt in, I tried to get a shock gobble out of him to locate his position, but he wouldn't talk. So as I slipped in to the area I wanted to be in, he was already there with a hen and I spooked them. While they were gone, I cleared some brush under a tree so my next entry would be a quieter one.
A few days go by before I could get back in there. I was worried that they had left the area, but I decided to sit anyways. No shock gobbles on my way in. My sit lasted 25 minutes, only soft calling with some clucks and purrs, and one soft yelp to answer a hen I had heard. Out of nowhere, this dude gobbles less than 100 yards away, so I answer him with some clucks. He fires off another gobble immediately, and I answer back with more clucks. 2 minutes later, There he is, just shy of 40 yards, and I give him the Hevi Shot magnum blend! Right at the peak of the solar eclipse! These birds sure have some beautiful plumage.

View attachment 61748
View attachment 61749
Nice Jake!

Wilbur...Loves me some Charlotte's web...and some swine..

View attachment 61748
View attachment 61749
Great bird and a nice read

Reactions: QuePasaJames

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu