Mixed bag

WingWhacker

Jul 30, 2014
san dimas
Ran up north for the closer last Saturday and Sunday and the Pickens were a bit slim but I managed a decent mixed bag. Managed 4 on sat and lost 3 greenheads to the reeds. I've decided I need a dog so as not to loose so many birds. Nothing feels worse than loosing game. I've also noticed I need some help with my calling. my cadences suck so if any of you seasoned vets out there are feeling charitable my buddy and I would love to learn. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    367.7 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    493.3 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    462.5 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
Glad you are getting a dog, make sure it's black one if you get a lab. The other colors are for house dogs.

Pretty area where was it?

Bill you might be lucky my chocolate isn't around any longer to hear what you are saying he might have to pee on your gun and eat your sandwich while you are chasing Your black hahahaha

Losing 3 greenheads sucks..... :(

Yes, get a lab.....As far as the color goes, I love blacks & chocolates, but my last 2 yellows have been machines.....Color IMO makes little difference on how they retrieve...... :-*

ps......Latest addition to our family tonight.....Meet Yeager...... ;D

pss....Your always welcome to come by and get some calling lessons. Or just find a city park. There's always a few good callers there....And their cadence is always right on..... ;)

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    463.4 KB · Views: 27
Steve, you have created a monster out of those two!! You probably can't wipe the smile off your face.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WingWhacker said:
I've also noticed I need some help with my calling. my cadences suck so if any of you seasoned vets out there are feeling charitable my buddy and I would love to learn. Thanks!

I am not a vet by no means, but the saying KISS, comes to mind. You are over thinking it. Practice some of the basic quacks and learn WHEN too call.

Lots of time in the off season to observe local mallards calling to each other.

I use a DR85 call, and it is cracked and it still gets the job done.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ilovesprig said:

Yes, get a lab.....As far as the color goes, I love blacks & chocolates, but my last 2 yellows have been machines.....Color IMO makes little difference on how they retrieve...... :-*

pss....Your always welcome to come by and get some calling lessons. Or just find a city park. There's always a few good callers there....And their cadence is always right on..... ;)

That's a good looking puppy! Was the original Yeager named after a Dodger catcher or USAF test pilot?

"That's a good looking puppy! Was the original Yeager named after a Dodger catcher or USAF test pilot?"

Jeff,

The original Yeager was named after the name Jaeger which means hunter in German.....Steve was just a rookie with the Dodgers & Chuck was still flying jets..... ;D

ilovesprig said:

Aw a grandpuppy

Aeon said:
Glad you are getting a dog, make sure it's black one if you get a lab. The other colors are for house dogs.

Pretty area where was it?

I had a chocolate years ago ( Melvin) he was a great all around dog but I could not get the boy to hold still while birds were approaching. Very neurotic but still a great boy. I was thinking about a Chesapeake. My dad swears by them. Anyway this is on a private farm in a small town near birds landing. iv never left without a few birds and the view is awesome.

OK I'm gonna step on it here but you should take a look at the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association and what are called versatile breeds. Why own a dog that only flushes and retrieves when you can have a dog that will point upland game and also work for waterfowl. There are several versatile breeds that really excel at waterfowl but also cover a field and point.

My lab just said she does lot care about junk birds, Only ducks. the Other dogs can point and fetch the ditch pigeons

Caption reads "leave me alone im busy"

Aeon said:
My lab just said she does lot care about junk birds, Only ducks. the Other dogs can point and fetch the ditch pigeons

Caption reads "leave me alone im busy"

Bill,

Is that Tia? I remember when she was just a pup! Looks like a machine now...not that she wasn't then, haha.

Yes that's Tia, she is 7 now! Time freaking Flys huh. I'm sitting on my deck in mex right now with her next to me.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu