Mojave Preserve Youth Quail Hunt

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Subject: Mojave Preserve Youth Quail Hunt

The dates are Oct 2-3-4, the kids will be hunting on the third.

The volunteers that are needed;

Eight volunteers to help cook & serve Saturday morning breakfast, (sausage, biscuits & gravy) and Saturday night dinner, (hamburgers and hotdogs, beans, chips) plus cleanup after the meals. Sunday morning will be a continental breakfast.

Craig, Marlene, Jim, John Clark, John Nelson, Duke - please let me know ASAP if you will be present and volunteering as cooks and servers again this year. Also, John Nelson - can you do the beans again?

Two volunteers to man "BJ's Coffee Bar" each morning. BJ and Jim - are you available or do we need to find someone else this year? Pls let us know ASAP

Four volunteers to do the sign-ins, hand out hunting vests to the kids and any other items that will be given out to the kids. Friday night from 5 to 8 and Saturday morning from 6:30 to 8pm.

Six volunteers to help set up the event Friday from 10am to 1pm, plus help load up the equipment on Sunday from 10am to 12 noon. Set up tables, EZ-ups, BBQ's, cooks stoves, lighting, etc.

Twenty five guides, the guides will take out one or two kids on Saturday morning 8am, and return to camp before 4pm. We will have maps for the guides if you are not familiar with the Mojave National Preserve. We do have a drawing on Saturday night for the guides only with special items.

Guides are one of the most important part of this event, so if you want to help some kids enjoy a day of hunting quail, please let me know.

We are in need of any donations for the drawing on Saturday night after dinner.

Any vendors, organizations, groups etc. that want to put up a information booth, we also need to know ASAP.

Cliff McDonald

Thanks for the notice Steve.
Sorry to say I'll be hunting muleys in WY. Well, I'm not sorry, I guess, but I'd help if I could.

great opportunity to give back. 2 questions?

1. Do you need dog handlers?

2. are the kids already picked or is there openings to get other kids in?

Im free and putting it on the calendar.

I took my 9 yo out, our guide Jerry was great. We saw several small coveys of quail and chukar but none would get into the air. Everything was running, could have to do with all the rain and the winds. In one area you could see the mud had flowed about 3 feet deep, and there was low green everywhere. Jerry mentioned he was out about once a week in MNP and usually saw quail but the rains in July/Aug/Sept changed everything. I also found out there are around 212 guzzlers in the MNP, I got the map and have been entering them into the gps. I have always seen quail in the MNP, we camp there a lot, but never large coveys, I hope el nino changes that.

My kid didnt get any quail, but won a 870 20ga in the raffle.

KingSlug said:
I took my 9 yo out, our guide Jerry was great. We saw several small coveys of quail and chukar but none would get into the air. Everything was running, could have to do with all the rain and the winds. In one area you could see the mud had flowed about 3 feet deep, and there was low green everywhere. Jerry mentioned he was out about once a week in MNP and usually saw quail but the rains in July/Aug/Sept changed everything. I also found out there are around 212 guzzlers in the MNP, I got the map and have been entering them into the gps. I have always seen quail in the MNP, we camp there a lot, but never large coveys, I hope el nino changes that.

My kid didnt get any quail, but won a 870 20ga in the raffle.

That's awesome last time I was out there I saw quail in the mid hills campground in a water bib where you can't shoot them ...... Didn't see any anywhere else camped three days out there visiting guzzlers.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu