Mountain Lion in downtown Oceanside neighborhoods

I live close to DT Oside and when taking out the trash this morning I ran across a decently size Coyote!

One of my dogs got taken out by a coyote.
I live in a semi-rural area of Fallbrook. Coyotes everywhere. Lots of our neighbors have lost dogs to the coyotes. One dog was severly mauled and he is a huge dog that weighs about 100 pounds. A group of 4 coyotes ganged up on it and tore it up. Luckily, the owner ran out with a pellet gun and scared the yotes off. I have 3 small HI rescue dogs and we need to keep them enclosed at all times. When I take them down below to the orchard/gardens, I carry a hi-power pellet rifle and an air horn. Two days ago, took the dogs out to the fenced backyard to do their business at 6AM, and saw the largest coyote I have ever seen in CA down in the pavillion area. Looked like a German shepherd with really long fur. Got the dogs inside, got my pellet rifle [a killer out to 50 yards] and the yote was still there. Got off a good shot at the lung area. It jumped straight up and took off. Was not able to find any blood.

One of our neighbors thinks that coyotes are cute. She puts out large bowls of dog food every night for the coyotes to feed on. Threatens to call the cops if she sees anyone with a pellet rifle.

Coyotes and lions are here to stay. I am waiting for the coyotes or the lions to snatch a little kid. Newsom will probably introduce a bill to ban kids.

.... We were on the corner of Saxony Road and Quail Hollow, with a 100 acre preserve behind us and canyons leading into the preserve.
I know exactly where that is, my friend Tim who I used to work with lives on Saxony.

I practice at the Encinitas Ranch golf course from time to time and I take my dog for a walk to the Indian Head Trail. I have seen snakes on that trial but it would not have occurred to me there would be a cat in the area since the trail is frequently used.

A buddy of mine who lives in Oside sent me those photos as well. Not really surprised though. They are everywhere. One of my neighbors here in Murrieta was getting tracks, and scratch marks in his backyard. We set a trail camera up but nothing came by after we set the camera. They are everywhere here, just very elusive. I do love that bum photo though haha.

I know exactly where that is, my friend Tim who I used to work with lives on Saxony.

I practice at the Encinitas Ranch golf course from time to time and I take my dog for a walk to the Indian Head Trail. I have seen snakes on that trial but it would not have occurred to me there would be a cat in the area since the trail is frequently used.
Our house backed up to Indian Head Canyon, the last house heading north on the east side of Saxony just before you get to Quail Hollow. Not only did I see that cat, but one day I was jogging up the hill toward the golf course and a young lion ran out in front of me and stopped to stare. It took off and that was the last I saw of it. Bet if the authorities put out a couple hundred trail cams along canyons adjacent to some major housing developments throughout North County they would see a lot of big cats. Just a matter of time before one gets so hungry that a human is just another chunk of protein.

One down but this is way east of the other one that had been in all the sightings. Hit by a car last night. View attachment 61484
I don’t see any evidence of tire marks. I suspect a cover up. I can’t believe some poor soccer Mom creamed such a magnificent animal while driving the kids back home from soccer camp. I am sure OPD is on it.

View attachment 61497Cats can do 10-12 miles a day. Seems realistic geographically, but to get from south o to the east side is a large task for an animal.
Did the driver get ticket for hitting an endangered animal? Funny thing about them being endangered California has the largest population of mountain lions in the country. Just goes to show the power of these antihunting groups.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu