mountain lion kill.

steve, so it's a no no to keep dead heads in Cali?

ivhunter said:
I don't believe there is any law against picking up dead heads in the field within CA. There is a law prohibiting transport into California of any deer skull or spinal tissue with any soft tissue on it, but if it's just bones you are okay. That law is to prevent importation of chronic wasting disease (CWD).

ivhunter said:

Rick,

I asked this exact question to a game warden recently......The answer was......You can NOT cut off or keep the head......(I couldn't find anything that addresses this exactly in the F & G code book)......The same as it's illegal to pick up a deer or turkey on a highway, I guess.

I did find this from Carrie Wilson.....Spokesman for D of F & W.

Question:

I was hiking on public land and came across a dead elk carcass that had been there a while and still had a huge rack attached to the skull. I know it’s legal to pick up shed antlers, but what about if they are still attached to the skull of an old elk carcass? Would it be legal for me to take the antlers? (Matt, Hollister)

Answer: There is no provision in the Fish and Game Code prohibiting someone from picking up a set of antlers attached to a skull and carcass found on public land. However, this would likely appear suspicious to a game warden. Anyone who chooses to do so should be aware that pursuant to Fish and Game Code, section 2000, possession of any part of a fish or mammal in or on the fields, forests or waters of this state while returning therefrom with fishing or hunting equipment is prima facie evidence the possessor took that fish or mammal.

Please note that there are exceptions for U.S. Fish and Wildlife Refuges and National Parks though. On these lands it is illegal to collect antlers or to take any animal or it’s parts unless they are taken legally while hunting or with a special use permit.

ilovesprig said:
ivhunter said:

Rick,

I asked this exact question to a game warden recently......The answer was......You can NOT cut off or keep the head......(I couldn't find anything that addresses this exactly in the F & G code book)......The same as it's illegal to pick up a deer or turkey on a highway, I guess.

I did find this from Carrie Wilson.....Spokesman for D of F & W.

Question:

I was hiking on public land and came across a dead elk carcass that had been there a while and still had a huge rack attached to the skull. I know it’s legal to pick up shed antlers, but what about if they are still attached to the skull of an old elk carcass? Would it be legal for me to take the antlers? (Matt, Hollister)

Answer: There is no provision in the Fish and Game Code prohibiting someone from picking up a set of antlers attached to a skull and carcass found on public land. However, this would likely appear suspicious to a game warden. Anyone who chooses to do so should be aware that pursuant to Fish and Game Code, section 2000, possession of any part of a fish or mammal in or on the fields, forests or waters of this state while returning therefrom with fishing or hunting equipment is prima facie evidence the possessor took that fish or mammal.

Please note that there are exceptions for U.S. Fish and Wildlife Refuges and National Parks though. On these lands it is illegal to collect antlers or to take any animal or it’s parts unless they are taken legally while hunting or with a special use permit.

thanks Steve,

looks like if one finds a dead head and really wants it should come back when they don't have any hunting equipment with them to stay on the safer side of the law, but still very iffy I would prob just leave it behind and save me the hassle... by the way steve congrats on the expansion of your family with your daughters marriage.

Thanks Rick........I look at it as getting two more hunting partners........lol

Attachments

• IMG_6784.JPG
    IMG_6784.JPG
    634.7 KB · Views: 22
ilovesprig said:
Thanks Rick........I look at it as getting two more hunting partners........lol

I love the decoys in this pic. 3 dead turks and the decoys are just poking around

Quoting Carrie Wilson? I saw that this weeks feed from DFW Q & A was pulled and edited for probably some more great advice by her ignoring the Codes. The post involved "http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/carrying-an-additional-sidearm-while-hunting-and-fishing.631762/"

That post is blank. The official feed was edited without that content. Hmmm, Carrie (Pinnochio) caught again?

I have a deer skull with two unmistakable fang marks through the skull.

Back