Mounting a scope

HunterBK

Apr 18, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Hi,

I have a remington model 700. Recently sent it in for the trigger recall. Luckily, got it back in less than the 12 week minimum they quoted!

In order to send the gun in to remington, I had to remove all accesories, scope included. I've only ever mounted one scope before.

Obviously, its a pretty easy thing to do, but I was curious if I should be concerned about torquing the mounting screws/pins to a certain ft-lbs (or in-lbs)? Also, does anyone use loc-tite?

Thanks!

He Brian,

What are the brand of bases and rings and what model?

Thanks for the reply NBK.

Its a Game Reaper one piece mount. Scope is a Leupold VX-2. All placed on a Remington Model 700 (SLF?). I forget the letters after model 700... its the model 700 with the wood stock and stainless steel fluted barrel.

Thanks!

I have never seen or heard of their mounting system. After reading through the entire website and seeing videos I have some opinions.

Below video is taken off of the Game Reaper Website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QSNHsGFU9k

This verbiage was copied directly off of their help page.

Thread Locker – it is not needed with our mounts if it is installed correct. DO NOT use any type of thread locker on our long ring screws. The screws we use are longer than other companies screws. We have about 20 threads holding your scope in place on each screw. If you do use thread locker, most of the time you will have to saw or break screws to get your scope out of mount. Do not send any mount back to us for exchange or refund if it has thread locker on the mount at any spot.

The correct way to install our mounts in just a few minutes– Set the mount on top of your receiver or barrel and line up all of the holes in mount to the holes in your firearm. Install all base screws ( short screws ) thru mount and thread loosely into gun. Tighten each screw and loosen them to see if it holds mount tight on each screw. If you have a screw that bottoms out in threaded hole you will need to shorten it up a thread or so. This does not happen much, but it has happened in the past. Some holes are not tapped as deep as others or as deep as needed. Next – using long end of wrench into head of screws. Hold mount down against firearm and snug very front and very back base screws on mount, then snug other base screws. Next – turn wrench around and install short end into head of screw and tighten each screw while holding one thumb on top of wrench pushing down into head of screw and other thumb on end of long end of wrench. For STEEL receivers or barrels tighten until you start to feel wrench flex or bend. Hold torque for 5 seconds, this locks screw into place. Do each screw, and then do all of them again to seat screws in place. Talk with gun maker to get correct torque specs on their receivers or barrels when using torque tools. You will have to use less torque on Aluminum receivers. We go 25 inch pounds on our steel receiver guns we buy and 18 inch pounds on our Aluminum receiver guns we buy. Next – Install scope and install rings. Turn each screw (long screws )into mount and snug them to where you can still move scope. You need to have about the same gap on both sides of rings, about 1/32” between mount and rings. Next – get proper eye relief correct and then level cross hairs in scope. Next – tighten screws a little and then recheck to see if crosshairs are still level. Next – Tighten ring screws the same way as listed above on base screws until wrench starts to flex and bend. Hold torque for 5 seconds and do each screw. Then do each screw again and this will give you the correct torque. Our mounts are machined so true and straight it takes more torque to hold a scope in place. You will not hurt the threads in our mounts since we use such long ring screws. The screws can handle 60 to 70 inch pounds. After 60 to 70 the hardened steel screws start to break. Some light weight firearms and heavy weight scope combos take a few more inch pounds or torque to hold in place since mount is made so true and straight.

Question – What screws go into base and what screws go into rings ? Answer – Short screws go thru mount and into firearm. Long screws install thru rings and into mount. All ring screws we use are 6-40 X 5/8” long.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu