Mule Deer Hunting Advice

cattledog04

Sep 12, 2017
As I said earlier, I'm a newbie DIY hunter and drew a D19 tag. Went out last weekend to the spot I have been scouting for the past few weeks and saw nothing but other hunters (I was expecting to see people from what I have learned about this unit, but not that many). Camped out and didn't even hear a shot fired! I just got back from doing some drive by scouting with the family at higher elevations thinking the thick brush would thin out a bit and it would be a little easier to glass some hillsides. I was wrong. So my question is, with it being so thick with trees and such, does one start hiking in hopes to obviously spot a buck or spook one up? Just looking for some advice for a beginner. Thanks in advance.

does one start hiking in hopes to obviously spot a buck or spook one up?

One can do that and that would show others around that you are either new or inconsiderate. Sometimes I like seeing someone bushwhack to see what gets kicked up and hopefully in my direction. Almost always that hunter never knew what they kicked up. But most of the times, I see it as desperation to make up for lack of pre-season scouting. Don't get me wrong- I do it also but I make sure that no one else is around to think that I'm inconsiderate of the other hunters afield.

Btw- If your seeing a whole lot of hunters, theres good chance that deer are still there. They just know how to hunker down better. But seeing other hunters make my anxiety level rise so I try to get farther or deeper...just like the deer.

Disclaimer-By no means am I a seasoned hunter. I realized I posted the last post at 11pm and I was tired so if it sounds douche please don't take it that way and I apologize.

However, since the real hunters are out in the field...I figure any advice is better than being ignored. Good luck cattledog04.

Xjon it's all constructive.
Cattle dog read all you can on line. Until you can't stand it.
Problem with thick brush is this .
Noise. Making to much noise as you try to plow through it.
Find a good a good vantage point and be patient. Sit a and watch. Patience is the key. Sometimes you get lucky. It's all half luck. And patience. If there's deer it will make a mistake. Just be ready.

Thanks guys, I don't take any offense. The spot I wanted to hike around has more trees and not as much manzanita and such (still thick, but different). It would be easier to get to a good vantage point by hiking through it, but am not sure if that would be the best route.

Every situation is different. But with seeing your area it's tough. When I hunted thigh side I would go every week end to same spot. Some time in very cold and windy weather. In those days I was poorly dressed for cold weather. Sometimes it took 3 or more weeks before I would see movement. The deer would take the same deer trail. I would be high enough and well hidden.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu