My 2019 plans and adjustments.

oscar

Feb 2, 2018
Corona ca.
Starting to get that itch again. This year my biggest change in deer hunting tactics is going to be inviting some non hunter friends and family to go scouting with me. Last year I did pretty much all my scouting/hunting solo. I don't mind the time alone much, but that last week of the hunting season I was just plain lonely. I figure get them out scouting, break em in, and see who the good ones are that I might actually take out during season. Nothing beats having good company in camp.
i just ordered some 15x vortex binos. I'm hoping to see more game with these over my 10x42's. My next purchase is going to be some dedicated hunting boots. I'm looking at under armour bozeman 2.0 seems like these get good reviews. I used hiking shoes last summer scouting and my timberland work boots last season. I learned the hard way they are not water proof.
Sorry for the ramble. next season is getting on my mind. now its time for me to get off my butt get in shape again.

Starting to get that itch again. This year my biggest change in deer hunting tactics is going to be inviting some non hunter friends and family to go scouting with me. Last year I did pretty much all my scouting/hunting solo. I don't mind the time alone much, but that last week of the hunting season I was just plain lonely. I figure get them out scouting, break em in, and see who the good ones are that I might actually take out during season. Nothing beats having good company in camp.
i just ordered some 15x vortex binos. I'm hoping to see more game with these over my 10x42's. My next purchase is going to be some dedicated hunting boots. I'm looking at under armour bozeman 2.0 seems like these get good reviews. I used hiking shoes last summer scouting and my timberland work boots last season. I learned the hard way they are not water proof.
Sorry for the ramble. next season is getting on my mind. now its time for me to get off my butt get in shape again.
All good. Sometimes I enjoy the solitude, away from day to day grunge.....
But ya I miss those days as a group camp.
With every one's busy schedule and what not,
tough to get that any More.

Reactions: Goyaałé and oscar
I'm looking at under armour bozeman 2.0 seems like these get good reviews. I used hiking shoes last summer scouting and my timberland work boots last season. I learned the hard way they are not water proof.

Oscar why not the UA Tine 2.0 400g. ? Do you not think they are better boots? They are only $25 bucks. The reason I am asking is because those are the ones I am planing on buying.

Oscar why not the UA Tine 2.0 400g. ? Do you not think they are better boots? They are only $25 bucks. The reason I am asking is because those are the ones I am planing on buying.
Dude if you can find those for 25 bucks don't hesitate. Pricing on amazon for those is about the same as the bozeman 2.0 125-150ish that line looks good also. typo?

Dude if you can find those for 25 bucks don't hesitate. Pricing on amazon for those is about the same as the bozeman 2.0 125-150ish that line looks good also. typo?
Haha..$25 bucks more than what you are planing to pay. Look at the UA site, they are on sale there...but note that the ones you looking at 600gr, these are 400grms.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Reactions: oscar
Dude... I soo feel you on the solitude thing! Ugh.

Sometimes it gets to me bad when I'm out there as well.

The thing of it is... I've been working from home since 2001. So I kinda feel that way all the time anyway since my socialization is extremely limited as it is anyway.

I've noticed I only really get to feeling that way though when it's one of those days where you don't see a damn thing pass by for the whole day. As long as I get to see some wildlife, then I'm usually Ok. When you don't though... yeah... it's real easy to get that "What the Hell am I doing out here?" vibe start rollin' in.

But I'm hoping that will change this year since I want to try employing using the optics more during the year. And circulate thru more places to add into the repertoire. Figure since I'll be actively doing something rather than just waiting in ambush all day, that the time will hopefully pass by more rapidly and be more interesting.

I've noticed I only really get to feeling that way though when it's one of those days where you don't see a damn thing pass by for the whole day. As long as I get to see some wildlife, then I'm usually Ok. When you don't though... yeah... it's real easy to get that "What the Hell am I doing out here?" vibe start rollin' in.
Hah! you hit the nail on the head. I was out for an evening hunt sitting, watching, only saw a couple jacks and busted a small covey of quail on the way in. My mind starts in on me I'm the only human out here for miles. I get exactly that "What the Hell am I doing out here?" vibe. Ended up cutting that hunt short and spent that time off with my family. I usually enjoy the solitude, but I was surprised how it got to me. Never felt that before. It felt good to get back to my fam, but I am always thinking I should have just stayed a bit longer. If I had another person with me I'm sure I would have stayed.

Haha..$25 bucks more than what you are planing to pay. Look at the UA site, they are on sale there...but note that the ones you looking at 600gr, these are 400grms.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip I'm checking out their site now. i was originally looking for a boot without any insulation, but I like how the tines have that black waterproofing around the perimeter of the boot instead of only in the front. hmmm you might have changed my mind. I'll keep an eye on the prices for a couple months and see if a deal pops up.

BTW... RE: boots - The Salomon 4D Quest GTX's. The first pair lasted me 3 years. I'm on my second pair now. (And only because the Memory Foam insert inside and the sole seemed to be sacked-out in terms of cushioning they provide) I'd highly recommend them. You can go down to...about...upper 30's F with them and still be Ok on a sit, as long as you're sporting liner socks and Merino Wool socks together.

And brother I sing the praises of FoxRiver liner socks together with Darn Tough (<- Brand name) Merino Wool Socks.

DO NOT go cheap on your feet man! That'd be a BIG mistake.

I also got a pair of Cabelas Insulated boots for the cold. I don't like'em as much yet, because the foot can move around in the toe box a teeny bit. But I think that's more of a sizing/fit issue. I believe as they break-in it'll get a little better.

I think that's where that Memory Foam insert in the Salomon's pays for itself. With those boots and those socks together... I can go WAY in the Hell farther that what would normally be possible for my feet. My feet totally self-destruct, and I have a hereditary condition where getting deep cracks in my heels is a problem too. Aquaphor and O'Keefe's are your friends!

Last edited:
Red wing work boots and eyes peeled. I was walking along side a steep hillside. Stopped looked down and this behemoth was sitting there. Didn't hiss or rattle what so ever. It was at least 2.5 to 3 inches thick at mid body. I just let him or her be. Went on with my scouting

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
Red wing work boots and eyes peeled. I was walking along side a steep hillside. Stopped looked down and this behemoth was sitting there. Didn't hiss or rattle what so ever. It was at least 2.5 to 3 inches thick at mid body. I just let him or her be. Went on with my scouting
That was a big one for sure.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu