My gun is done.

TaftHunter

I hunt a lot
Nov 17, 2012
Taft
Well I'm excited to say my gun is finished!
It's a Remington 700 CDL 7mm rem mag. Here's some specs..

Bell and Carlson medalist stock
Nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56
Talley medium rings 8-40 screws (pinned)
Custom muzzle brake made by Steve White
Factory barrel

I'm pushing a 168 gr Berger Vld hunting bullet with 67.5 gr of H1000, seated 40 thou off the lands. grouping at .49 moa at 100 yards.

Paired with the Gunwerks G7 br2 rangefinder.

I hit the 1300 yard gong on my 3rd shot, and hit the 1000 yard gong every time I shot at it!
0f7fc5b95274998390ea81dbe5c8d78b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this is the outcome of your what's your longest range post huh. Rad gun congrats man can't wait to hear about some long range shots.

Truduct said:
So this is the outcome of your what's your longest range post huh. Rad gun congrats man can't wait to hear about some long range shots.

Well that post was meant for max range on taking an animal.
I plan to take this rig out to 1 mile on steel.

Very nice rig Garrett. Look forward to shooting with you in the future!

7 Mag is a hard cartridge to beat!

NBK said:
Very nice rig Garrett. Look forward to shooting with you in the future!

7 Mag is a hard cartridge to beat!

Thanks John. Same! I can't wait to see your rifle in person!

That is true!

I think I might work on building a 338 Lapua next, but I have a while before then...

very cool Taft, another contender for the Sch Cup

That is awesome Garrett. Congrats. Beautiful rig and obviously you have it performing well.

Bonejour said:
That is awesome Garrett. Congrats. Beautiful rig and obviously you have it performing well.

Thanks Don, here soon I'm going to work up a lead-free load, just haven't decided on the bullet I'm going to shoot.

TaftHunter said:
Bonejour said:

Thanks Don, here soon I'm going to work up a lead-free load, just haven't decided on the bullet I'm going to shoot.

I was wondering if Berger had come up with a lead-free VLD
My 7mag Sendero loves that same bullet. I found a new factory round by HSM that loads it. John is slowly talking me into loading my own, but for now I'm happy.... Till you guys show me up at the shoot, after which I'll be looking for excuses.

Bonejour said:
TaftHunter said:
Bonejour said:

I was wondering if Berger had come up with a lead-free VLD
My 7mag Sendero loves that same bullet. I found a new factory round by HSM that loads it. John is slowly talking me into loading my own, but for now I'm happy.... Till you guys show me up at the shoot, after which I'll be looking for excuses.

I haven't heard anything about Berger making a lead free VLD, I'm sure it won't be soon if they do...
They're a great bullet..
Loading on your own will really open your eyes and bring you into a whole new kind of accuracy, and knowing every bullet you shoot will be the same is an awesome feeling.
The problem with HSM is they charge close to $100 for 40 rounds..
I can load the same bullet with better accuracy for $128 per 100 rounds (including brand new brass) next 100 rounds would only be about $83. Depending on how much you shoot, you will have your reloading equipment payed off in no time!

I forgot to mention I dropped a timney trigger in it set at 2 pounds..

It is a great looking rig Garrett. IMHO the Atlas is no better than the Harris. I went back and forth and after looking at the stats as well as understanding the differences, I chose the Harris.

Either way you lean - its a win win.

NBK said:
It is a great looking rig Garrett. IMHO the Atlas is no better than the Harris. I went back and forth and after looking at the stats as well as understanding the differences, I chose the Harris.

Either way you lean - its a win win.

Hmm I might go with the Harris them, save myself some money..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu