My long awaited turkey hunt

GSE2

non sibi sed patriae(not for self but for country)
Aug 15, 2013
San Diego
so I've been waiting a while to get out and try and get a bird but i spend alot of time out to sea but got my chance last weekend so here's my story....
pulled back in late on Friday stopped by the house and grabbed the gear said hi to the wife and dogs then headed up to the spot to set up the blind and was gonna camp but when we got up there it was pouring rain and the wind was ripping got the blind up and put the gear inside the went to set up the tent at the campground down the road couldn't get the tent to stay up because the stakes wouldn't go in the ground and i didn't bring a hammer decided to say screw it and went back to the spot and slept in the car woke up in the morning the blind had blow across the field all my stuff was soaked and it started raining again decided to call it went and bought some good stakes set the blind up again. came back the next day at about 8 saw two hens fly into the field. they stayed for about 45 mins about 930 decided to go hike a bit see if we saw any didn't see anything. was gonna walk the ridge on the hill and have my buddy stay in the blind to see if i could stir anything up grabbed my shotgun and took a step and heard a gobble from the hill got back in the blind and my buddy called to em and got a gobble back. called again and got two separate gobbles look up on the hill with the glass and see a hen and two toms full strut he calls once more and nothing they start walking away we wait about a half hour decide to hike the hill see if they swing back by get to the top of the hill and call get a gobble back but he ends up being outside the property line and heading away stay up there for about an hour or so then head back to the blind called it around 3. all in all was a fun experience and i wanna thank John from fine firearms for introducing me to the forum, matigi for all the turkey advice and snakecharmer for the excellent opportunity.

The best thing out of all of that is that you actually got some vocal birds on your first hunting trip. Awesome story and keep at it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu