Mystery of the Columbian Black tail...

HunterMcBuckKiller

Oct 20, 2020
Polk County, OR
Got access to some private timber land in the coast mountains in Oregon. I finally got a chance to check it out on Saturday for a couple hours.
Excited cause it is only 30 min from my house so i can easily get out to so some scouting as often as possible.
New to any sort of Black tail hunting i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to set up trail cams to try to get a glimpse of what is up there.
I have a few flicks below to give you a feeling of what the land is like.
My thoughts are first to hike the perimeters of the clear cuts looking for sign. I i come across any recently or heavily used game trails I'll set a camera.
From what locals have told me they don't migrate like deer i am used to.
I am also planning on doing some hiking as far off trial as possible (lots of rarely used logging roads around) and look for any signs of bedding or anything really.

Planning on setting up cam's this coming Saturday,

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1693.JPGIMG_1708.JPG

Set a couple trail cams up before they closed the property for a week due to extreme fire conditions.
Got a small spike and not 100% sure of what I got a glimpse of in the bottom left of the other photo.

I thought it may be a cougar cause the ears are so small. Could all be in my head as well…

Think I found where they are hiding back there, plenty of sign about 5-6 miles back into the property, best part, plenty of roads!!!

Stay tuned for more…

IMG_1785.jpeg
IMG_1784.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you have a great spot to hunt and fish.
It really is.

I think i have found my plan of attack, Will be camping out at the top of this hill and start zig-zagging through the dense forest to the road below trying to bump a buck.
These blacktail are very elusive.
But I know they are there.
I found a natural spring just to the north of the road below the hill i plan on scouring.
hoping I can bump one either bedding or on their way to or from the water source.

Evening plan is to sit at the bottom of the clear cut and glass back at the thick vegetation to catch them on the evening feed in the clear cut. This is all best guess plan of attack as i have absolutely no experience hunting blacktail, Only what i have read.
The 2 things i have in my favor are 1. its private land. 2. i hear black tails are creatures of habit and spend most of their time in a couple square miles and if not spooked will stick to the same routs and beds as often as they can.

1692718334700.png

Reactions: sportyg
And the ROAD bro..don't forget the road!! Knowing where the road is at all times will help you immensely..working smarter..not harder!! When is opening day?

Reactions: HunterMcBuckKiller
And the ROAD bro..don't forget the road!! Knowing where the road is at all times will help you immensely..working smarter..not harder!! When is opening day?
10/7... If it all goes well the muley will be the second buck of the season...
These mountains are steep and deep, I am going to use every bit of road i possibly can. Someone showed me how to get it done last year... :cool:

Well not exactly what I was looking for, I placed this camera on a VERY steep slope not sure if i would get anything. I only placed it cause it looked like something BIG had been in the area due to the amount of flattened ferns and the way they were flattened, like something laid down on them. Thought i saw some large tracks but very difficult to tell in the thick vegetation.
To bad the wife is out of town and I have 2 young kiddos or he'd be a dead bear!!
Im leaving this camera up for a couple weeks to see if he comes back... Bear season doesn't close until 12/31... Still time for a dirt nap.
PS This is not far from the road!!

ear2.jpg
bear1.jpg

Indeed, now to close the deal, I think next year will be much more successful for me. This has/is a very busy year for personal reasons. Really need to look into getting a bow and practicing with it. So many more opportunities and time to hunt...

Made it out to check the cameras again, I had consolidated the 2 i have to one area where i found the Elk Asses...
I am kicking my self for not knowing OR elk dates when i scheduled our family Vacation... I will get 2 days best case scenario this year... :sob:
I think I have them figured out though.
Seem to visit this area around every other week and stay in the area for a couple days or so...
I will continue to watch them after this sighting!!!
Lets hope they survive the season and keep coming around till next years season.
Is this 2 different bulls or the same?
I think they are different...
I have some video but I haven't figured out how to get them up on here...
100_0003.JPG

100_0011.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu