Need a "Thank You" gift idea!

PSE-582

Sep 15, 2014
San Diego
So my dad has surprised me with a hog hunt coming up in 2 weeks (with GSGS) and I'd like to get him something special. My initial thought was a custom Buck 110 designed by me and the hunting date engraved. Problem is the hunt is in 2 weeks and when I called Buck they said they are currently shipping custom knives 6 weeks after payment :-[

My next thought was a picture plaque. I found a local trophy shop near me that will help me customize a plaque but I'm still worried it might look corporate or cheesy.

Any of you received a gift or given a gift or even have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Need a "Thank You" gift idea!

If you get a boar with good cutters, why not have Randomshot clean it up as a euro or cape it and have him mount it?

I think at this point, I would take a lot of pictures and blow one up of you and him after the hunt.

How about having a couple of his shells engraved with his initials and the date of the hunt?

Thanks guys, I know he plans on a Euro mount if he does get a nice one but I'll check out Randomshot's work.

We plan to bow hunt but we are bringing the 30-06 if we can't get in range with the bow. If that happens, the engraving is a good idea.

Nice new set of binos / range finder? He may be an old school guy, but as a hunter, you can't deny the latest and greatest tech (especially when it's free)!

LOL love the idea NBK.

This man has all the gear, he is old school but loves his gadets too, that's why I was thinking something personal. I think a photo is the best I've got right now. Maybe for Father's Day I give him the custom knife with the engraving of the hunt date.

Any more ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks for all the help so far.

No way could he have all the gear........unless he has a sherpa like Shockey

Just listen to him.....people always say "I wish I had that"

Or maybe you vidoe his hunt with a little funny comentary it should be one to remember

Grab your dad and say "i love you dad............" best gift on earth

Aeon said:
Grab your dad and say "i love you dad............" best gift on earth

X2. My kid just started saying it and it's the best thing I hear all day.

As far as getting your dad an engraved knife just purchase a Buck 110 and take it down to a trophy shop they have engraving equipment and can do it for you. I had a couple of 110's engraved with my stepsons initials a few years ago.

Snake Charmer said:
As far as getting your dad an engraved knife just purchase a Buck 110 and take it down to a trophy shop they have engraving equipment and can do it for you. I had a couple of 110's engraved with my stepsons initials a few years ago.

Thought about this too. I think I am going to get him a knife along with a photo and a hug. Now I just have to see if I want to give him a standard 110 now or a custom 6 weeks from now.

PSE-582 said:
So my dad has surprised me with a hog hunt coming up in 2 weeks (with GSGS) and I'd like to get him something special. My initial thought was a custom Buck 110 designed by me and the hunting date engraved. Problem is the hunt is in 2 weeks and when I called Buck they said they are currently shipping custom knives 6 weeks after payment :-[

My next thought was a picture plaque. I found a local trophy shop near me that will help me customize a plaque but I'm still worried it might look corporate or cheesy.

Any of you received a gift or given a gift or even have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
If you're in the San Diego area give Leroy a call (619)561-2442. He usually has custom 110s in stock. He was a custom maker for buck for years before he went out on his own.

Theres a guy that lives by me that also hunts Tejon and he does taxidermy. One of the really cool things that he has been doing is taking the tusks out (upper and lower) and mounting them on a board.

It would be really cool to find a burnt wood picture frame and put the tusks on it with a picture of the 2 of you on the hunt

burn the date into the wood or something.

I could sketch out my idea if your interested. The guy lives in Huntington. If your interested I will give you his number. you can check out some of his work on Youtube at Whitebonereflections

Man, lots of awesome ideas!

Capt J I'll definetly give that a thought if the hunt goes well!

I went to the Bow N Arrow shop in lakeside to get a tune up and Bruce suggested I check out Anza Knives. The owner Charlie was an awesome guy and has a great selection of handmade knives. Got a killer cash price on this knife that he personally made from start to finish and has his initials embossed on the spine of the knife. Wish I saw the post about the custom 110 before but I still think this was a great find. Here are some pics!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu