Need help, not a hand out

PSE-582

Sep 15, 2014
San Diego
Hey guys,

I'm new to hunting and I've been trying to do it right. I've been scouting many locations for small game like rabbit and squirrel to begin hunting and I've struck out for months now. I know it's called hunting for a reason, nothing guaranteed but this noob is starting to think he will never find anything. The locations I have scoped out did have very old signs of small game but nothing close to recent nor have I seen a single animal with my own eyes. I get to the location 1-2 hours before sun size, see game as I'm driving but never once after I get out of the car. I'm not looking for a hand out on a honey hole for your deer, hog or bigger game, I'd just like to start small with squirrel, rabbit or a coyote would be amazing. Tips on hunting these small animals, locations, someone to tag along to help show me what I'm doing wrong, anything to help me continue to hunt.

A little back ground on me, I'm from North County San Diego. I've been shooting a bow for 3 years, 2 years ago I decided I wanted to hunt. I saved my pennies, bought a hunt worthy bow last year and spent this last year upgrading it, tuning it and getting to a point where I feel my shot is consistent enough to make an ethical kill. I hunt with my Dad who has experience in hunting but it's been 30 years since he was really involved in hunting so things have changed. I think I've set reasonable goals for hunting... put in the work, start small, and you will be rewarded greatly. So far I've put in the work (at least I think I have) but no reward yet.

Any help for this noob would be appreciated. Send me a PM if you would like and I can go over the spots I've looked at or if anyone is to be so kind that they have a location suggestion PM would be great.

Thank you!
Travis

First of all the reward is having Gods great outdoors to spend your time in. So hopefully that has already changed the way you see life. But if not then try getting set up in an area where you know there are ground squirrels and be very still. after about 10 min the squirrels will forget about you and they will come out and do there thing all around you. I think the squirrels are everywhere. If you are not seeing any then go to another spot. Don't give up. You may be closer to success then you think.

Thank you, time outdoors is truly great but if I'm not hunting/scouting then I'm fishing and I have so much more success fishing. It's getting harder and harder to justify my time away from fishing with no success hunting. I guess either way it's great to be outdoors but we all enjoy the success too.

Thank you for the tips on the squirrels, now I just need to find a place that has squirrels and allows hunting them. According to Cleveland national forest website no squirrel hunting allowed and that's the largest hunting area around me. I'm sure the tips would apply for rabbit as well.

that's funny i have the opposite problem with fishing. I loved fishing, have a nice 16' fishing boat all decked out and my fishing areas all dropped off with little water or too much pressure. I have a much better time and get much more meat from hunting.

unless im wrong ground squirrels are hunt-able most places Cleavland included but tree are a different thing they are up north with a DFW map for a guide.

GS like the sun give it 2 hours or mid day for those nasty rodents......and don't eat them

If your seeing rabbits on the way in that's where you should start.....but walking can be detrimental to getting a shot they spook early. Glass them from far away and make a plan or get a dog and chase them in the bushes. In the evening get there 2 hours before dark sit in an area with sign and glass the area. Rabbits have great hearing and can spot movement from far away so if your not seeing any but theirs lots of sign slow down and glass more. I like bush rows around new green grass growth. Their's a book out there on rabbit behavior........did you know rabbits eat their fresh scat?

MJB said:
GS like the sun give it 2 hours or mid day for those nasty rodents......and don't eat them

If your seeing rabbits on the way in that's where you should start.....but walking can be detrimental to getting a shot they spook early. Glass them from far away and make a plan or get a dog and chase them in the bushes. In the evening get there 2 hours before dark sit in an area with sign and glass the area. Rabbits have great hearing and can spot movement from far away so if your not seeing any but theirs lots of sign slow down and glass more. I like bush rows around new green grass growth. Their's a book out there on rabbit behavior........did you know rabbits eat their fresh scat?

Had no idea, thank you.

The areas I do spot rabbit on my way in are in residential areas not permitted for hunting.

My suggestion would be study up on rabbit behavior then apply your new knowledge and you should do much better.

Newbies forget you MUST know their behavior before you'll be effective on a consistent bases.......teach a man to fish vs giving him a fish.....

Welcome PSE,

Let's start with squirrels......Ground squirrels are very common, but most large colonies are on private property......Tree squirrels south of Kern Co. are illegal to shoot......Private or public property.

Rabbits.....Yes, there some in the brushy areas of the Cleveland, BLM, and San Felipe W.A.....In drought years, it effects them too.....Even around my house the numbers are down.....So, no big surprise your nor seeing many or any.

If you want to see more game, you need to travel some......The Imperial Co. has tons of opportunities for small game, predators, and upland hunting.....About 2 1/2 hours away.....Much of my hunting time is spent out there.

Lastly, if your going to hunt SoCal get yourself a shotgun......Not that expensive and it opens lots of doors and opportunities.......2 cents.

ilovesprig said:
Lastly, if your going to hunt SoCal get yourself a shotgun......Not that expensive and it opens lots of doors and opportunities.......2 cents.

X2

Kellendv said:
ilovesprig said:

Couldn't agree more. Get a shotgun get into some bush areas and hike around you will get some rabbits for sure. Remember to ain I front of the head so you don't fill your meat with lead. As for squirrel look for rock piles they love them I typically will hunt for rabbits and when a squirel pops up take my shot. Now is a good time to get some rabbits since it is cold the worms will be gone. Careful eating them in warmer weather they grow some crazy stuff inside. Also my two cents stick to cottontail if you are looking for meat, jackrabbits are huge and fun to shoot but they taste like a tire.

Muledeerhunter said:
Cottontail season only last another 2 weeks? Be careful, know the dates.

Good tip.

Remember that Jack is open year round if you want to get some additional practice in during the "off season". Kick further east into the desert areas and hunt up some jack. Big, fast, and really fun.

First, remember this is a really bad drought year. Everything is struggling to survive.

Consider all your hunting trips as scouting adventures. If you get something that pops up great. Remember where it was and keep it under your hat. Learn to look for little things like poop, or tracks.

Enjoy your time outside.

What sprig said, get a shotgun and keep on it, the bunnies are out there. Open sagebrush and oak woodland with meadows are good places to start. Rabbits are a fun bonus when chasing quail, since both seem to hang around similar habitat and offer good practice for swinging your shotgun. The season closes at the end of this month though.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu