Never hunted a day in my life

cmag83

Oct 27, 2014
Okay so this might sound retarded, but I have never hunted a thing, ever, in all my 30 years of life. I can shoot, I like the country, I can camp, but have not the first idea of where to start hunting. I live in Ramona, CA. Can someone please point me in the right direction to get started and learn? Gear/places/education/new friends???

Hey dude. Welcome.

To start out, you will need 1) a hunter education cert, 2) a hunting license, and 3) some sort of animal killing implement (gun or bow). Start by googling "hunter ed ramona" or "hunter ed san diego". There is usually an 8 hour class. Once you have hunter ed you can buy a license. Then google "ca dfw" and start memorizing the hunting regulations.

Right now is hunting season and it goes fast. You might not get yourself sorted out in time for this year, but you have lots of time until next year. If you have a specific question, search this site's forum. We've covered lots of ground.

And just remember, not everything you read on the internet is true or 100% applicable. You will never know your quarry as much as you will when you're chasing it around and beating feet. Get out and scout (after deer season of course)! There are tricks and tips for every game you hunt and sometimes those change depending where you hunt. Good luck.

cmag83 said:
Okay so this might sound retarded, but I have never hunted a thing, ever, in all my 30 years of life. I can shoot, I like the country, I can camp, but have not the first idea of where to start hunting. I live in Ramona, CA. Can someone please point me in the right direction to get started and learn? Gear/places/education/new friends???
My best advice is to Get hunters education then put miles on your boots. I also live in Ramona as a local you have the advantage of knowing the area. I've found places most people would never know about unless you were a local. Good luck and keep at it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 'friend' that just started hunting last year. He wanted to know of a good place to hunt so I suggested a few places out by him. Never went but waited for me to take him. Sort of like giving him the magic spot...... and I'm just not going to give it up because he's put zero effort into it. You have to make an effort......"beat feet" is what the other guy said and I 100% agree. Make an effort and things will come your way. That same friend watches the plant reports(trout) in order to know where to go fish but wants me to divulge where I hike to in the Sierras to fish. He wants something good for free.

I've been shooting quail here and there for 26 years while paying attention to other game. This is my first year hunting deer and would say it's been far more successful than I'd thought due to miles and miles of quail hikes and off season scouting. I put in the miles.

I would also suggest buying a good binocular.....something your going to use a lot for many years. I use them to spot quail even. Turkey have out of this world vision so it's also best to try to see almost as well as them. Sometimes it's hard to see the difference between doe and buck from a distance.

Forget the fancy camo. Spend the money on the best equipment like boots and optics.

My .02

Good luck.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu