new d16 area looking promissing

bloodlover

Jun 3, 2015
So ive been working hard this season to find a new area thats not so crowded and i finally found it on friday. Took off from work to check out a spot on the map that ive been curious about and after about 20 minutes of arriving i find a big 3x3 with a doe. I havnt rifle hunted in 3 years ive been doing archery and have had alot of success. So with the new rifle finished i felt pretty confident that i could wack anything within 400 yards. So i find my new spot that is extremely hard to access wich is what i was looking for so i could find some bigger deer and thats exactly what i found. I crest over the ridge and a big 3x3 thats about 4 inches outside his ears stands up. I start to get the fever setting in bit take my time to find a good shot. Well were im at is all 4 foot sage so my bipod wasnt tall enough to work so i try to off hand shoot. By now buck fever is in full swing and my cross hairs are going from the deer to the moon. I pull the trigger and he doesnt even budge. I jack another shell in to watch him run over the hilhill. I was pretty certain that i got no were near him but i spent 4 hours looking for blood anyways just to be sure. Never found a drop so after kicking my own butt i decided it was time for shooting sticks. planning on buying a set before next weekend so i dont make the same mistake. I worked so hard and blew my oppurtunity so now im losing sleep at night thinking that will be my only chance. Right when i thought i had all the proper tools i still was missing one very important one. Lesson learned but hopefully ill get another shot.

Sounds like you were really close. Keep up the pressure on that area and you will see him again. And ya, get shooting sticks. They help a lot if you can't go prone.

Just had a conversation about how much easier it is hunting with a rifle than a bow......Easier yes, Easy no......Hang in there.....He ain't going far from there.

Its been haunting me all weekend u work so hard to get that one shot and i blew it. Thats hunting though its going to be a hard one to let go of.

I speny about 3 hours checking for blood just to be sure i did not hit him so when i actually grazed over the hill he was long gone. I was pretty confiddent i missed him but i had to be sure. Im glad i missed him clean instead of putting a bad shot on him.

bloodlover said:
I speny about 3 hours checking for blood just to be sure i did not hit him so when i actually grazed over the hill he was long gone. I was pretty confiddent i missed him but i had to be sure. Im glad i missed him clean instead of putting a bad shot on him.

Way to be. It's always nice to know where your bullet did or didn't land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu