New duck hunter.....er ah hunting....whatever

BFinneran

Oct 25, 2019
Been shooting upland birds 30 years and this Sunday will be my first duck hunt! Pulled an 86 for Wister. Got my gear, got an Ameristep care taker ground blind and a snickers bar! Any info other than “ don’t be a airbuster” would be great! Also I’m going alone so anybody want to show me what’s up? Yes I’m a site newb also.....I got thick skin!

#1 leave the blind you won’t need it there’s typically man made brush blinds at every spot
#2 bring small pair of tree trimmers
#3If your by yourself just throw out a half dozen decoys it can be a long haul at wister
#4 make sure you have waders or you won’t get your birds
#5 only 25 shells while in the field at wister leave extra shells in the truck. They way things have been you won’t need more than a few shells anyways.
#6 have fun and don’t get discouraged birds still are not down and honestly seems like they will never be down like they use to be been a rough 3 years.

Been shooting upland birds 30 years and this Sunday will be my first duck hunt! Pulled an 86 for Wister. Got my gear, got an Ameristep care taker ground blind and a snickers bar! Any info other than “ don’t be a airbuster” would be great! Also I’m going alone so anybody want to show me what’s up? Yes I’m a site newb also.....I got thick skin!
Welcome to the site and duck hunting ! I’m a newbie to this site also but have hunted ducks here in SoCal for quite awhile. Tough place to hunt under any circumstances but especially this year . Not to discourage you but Sunday duck hunts at

Welcome to the site and duck hunting ! I’m a newbie to this site also but have hunted ducks here in SoCal for quite awhile. Tough place to hunt under any circumstances but especially this year . Not to discourage you but Sunday duck hunts at
Wister are tough. Just a few thoughts. Keep expectations real . Take mosquito repellent either Thermocell or deet spray. Or both . Don’t use your call much . Stay hidden. No walking the dikes jump shooting. No shooting at snow geese until November 7 I think ? Know what you are shooting at. Only 1 pintail. Use this trip as a learning experience and watch and listen. There are guys who are better dialed in because they have learned the refuge and know what works. Good luck sand enjoy the day , Old Quack 49

It's nearly impossible to hunt wister without a mentor. Don't go if you don't have one. An 86 is nearly trash on a sunday. Excpet to not even see a duck; if you are lucky you may have an opportunity at a coot. There is a post in the ground with no sign that Mark's the blind site. You cant go more than 50 or 100 yard from that post depending on the blind site. Knowing which levees you can drive on and where to park is a challenge. To pick a blind you will need to do some serious scouting as not all of them have water and therefore ducks. Make sure you have a type A pass, ~$20 and a federal duck stamp as well as all the CA license and stamp. The mosquitos are relentless, so prepare as needed. Bring plenty of water and expect 100 degree temperatures. Read the regs thoroughly and know your duck ID; if you don't you will be paying $1000 fine. No shooting white geese until November 7. You can camp for free in the camping area and there are pit toilets but no water. Good luck. Report back on how it goes if you decide to go.

BF,

Welcome to SCH...Hunting Wister like has been mentioned, is no easy task...Get a map of the area with rules on the back (simple)...If there's someone in the office before 3:00 am, ask them (Andrew) what ponds or spots have water (night before is better)...When your #86 is called, have an idea where you want to go (simple)...After everyone has checked in, ask where your parking spot is located (real important)...Park in that designated spot (real important)...After parking, know what direction to go to get to your intermediate sign (sometimes not that easy)...After you get to your intermediate (this not your hunting site)...Walk down dike till you get to a stake (this can be very difficult to find)...One hint you're near your site is, you'll see blinds made of arrow weed...These blinds SHOULD be within a 100 yds of that medal stake (as mentioned, some blind sites are 50 yds).

Ask lots of questions BEFORE you get out there...I would go to our waterfowl section here on SCH and read the Know Your Ducks thread and others...Have a duck ID or carry your phone with you for positive ID...You're only allowed 2 hen mallards, no scaup, 2 canvasbacks, 2 redheads, and no snow geese yet.

Do you have decoys?...Do you have waders?...Bring a bucket or seat (none provided at blind sites)...Only 25 shells (I recommend, Kent 3" 1 1/8 #3's)...Obviously, wear camo and a facemask or paint is recommended.

ASK QUESTIONS HERE or pm for more specific answers.

Good luck, Steve

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu