New female and basically new male hunters

Tanner,
Glad you got out there. We hunted Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday and it was very slow. Finally found a dove rest area and shot 6 prior to them leaving. Most people I spoke with said it was slow.We saw some coveys of Quail, few ducks at Wister , dove, Eurasian doves and rabbits, getting the shots was the only problem. With all game animals open it is a good idea to shoot steel this time of the season since you must shoot Pheasant, rabbit and Duck with steel. I look for areas of cover and food out there. Water is not an issue with all the drains, laterals and so forth. Cover is in the form of heavy brush, just not too heavy to hunt or recover the birds. Food is usually Alfalfa or other grain or cereal type crops. Find likely areas and walk the area to see what you can flush out. I usaully take notes as I scout or shoot so I can refer back to the notes on my next trip out. You think you will remember the locations but it is really hard at the end of a trip to recall all the information. I use google maps to look for areas to try of future trips but just hunting and scouting is the best tool. Each trip will add more infotmstion to your notebook and you will get dialed in more and more. Good luck and keep on hunting now that everything is open.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu