New guy looking for guidance

SocalAL

Apr 13, 2017
Anaheim
Ok guys ive been a member now for some months, ive posted more than a couple times now and have got a HUGE amount of knowledge from fellow members. But the time has come for me to bite the bullet and ask for some help... Which for most of us im sure is a pretty awkward feeling but hay thats the only way to grow right?

So here it is..

Im looking to find exactly what the subject line says, GUIDANCE ..

Im 26 , an athlete and in shape. Ive been burning rubber off my boots checking places out, i hike ALOT. (Mostly azusa,la canada flintridge, la national area.) I have ABSOLUTELY NO problem with learning the hard way or earning the right to know certain tricks or techniques..

I come from a fishin/ camping family, but noooo hunters.. (With exception of my cousins in wyoming& ohio) but as u all know im sure, hunting there and hunting here are two different beasts.

Soo, im turning to u guys.. Fellow california hunters, to help a young guy out that has had the dream of a full freezer of meat, meat that I put the work in to get. Meat that i will remember not only the animal but the BATTLE it took to claim it. The shot, the zone, the weather, the experience.. Im about to start a family so this has an even deeper meaning to me, the ability to bring home the meat my family will eat and know EXACTLY where it came from is foremost on my mind.

So, all that being said...
ANY guidance , any at all; either written or in person would help me greatly.

Im in the Anaheim area, but am absolutely willing to travel for some help. Right now im locked into shotgun huntable game, only because i have not purchased my rifle yet for bigger game..

I am absolutely obsessed with turkeys, so any turkey hunters would really be awesome to get some tips from. I started on a diaphragm call, an now have the basics down to what i consider pretty turkey like ... Lol but i havent really got into slates or box calls yet so theres definetly room to improve there . Other that i shoot a mossberg 500 12g , have put upwards of 600 rounds through it an am proficient.

Ok thats the end of my essay like post. ANY help at all is very appreciated guys, so thanks again... Specially if you've read this far..

Hope to hear from ya,
An good hunting !!

-AL

Reactions: Moves
Al,

I'll address the turkey hunting opportunities in SoCal.....It's pretty much restricted to San Diego Co....NWTF San Diego Chapter offers a spring turkey tune-up every year....It's always near the end of February at Lake Sutherland....At the event, you can learn to call, buy calls, and draw for turkey hunting on the city property that surrounds the lake....You will also meet and talk to like minded folks (lots of SCH'ers there)....You can also pattern your shotgun (turkey choke recommended).

I also recommend that you join NWTF, CWA, DU, or if you area has a hunting club or trap range, join that....You will get magazines, updates, and much info about waterfowl & turkey hunting....Even Western Outdoors News can be a plus.

Ask lots of questions here and many will help....Also read the threads that cover whatever you want to hunt....Turkey hunting is under the upland forums.

Getting into waterfowl hunting is easier in a sense, but more difficult in some ways.....The easy part is finding a place to do it.....Here in SoCal, you have two wildlife areas that offer it, San Jacinto & Wister....There's also Lake Henshaw....The hard part is knowing your ducks, buying decoys, waders, (expense), getting drawn for those wildlife areas (although not necessary)....Go to the DFW website and put in for the draws....If you get drawn, either PM or ask for someone to go with you....Hunting ducks is almost impossible these days without a mentor.

Upland hunting is available in a lot of areas, including our wildlife areas....The upper deserts have tons of opportunities as well....Quail & chukar are where you find them (most any canyon with water source)....The IV is your best bet for doves and there's lots of public out there, including Wister & DFW Heritage Fields.

ps....Remember....If you hunt any wildlife area....You MUST have non-lead ammo.

Last edited:
Reactions: NBK and SocalAL
You picked a good time to post because dove season opens next weekend. You have the gun. If you can make it to the Imperial Valley and don't know where to go or what to do, pm me and you can meet up with my gang and experience the sound of 5,000 shotguns going off as the sun rises.

Also, there are private duck clubs behind Prado Dam, less than 30 minutes from where you live in Anaheim. Guys do well there but I'm sure it's not cheap. Lastly there are a few dedicated guys who regularly take deer in the Orange County section of the CNF. Check DFW website for zones, tags etc. and buy the Onyx app.

Reactions: SocalAL
With a shotgun you will have a lot of opportunities. You have dove and waterfowl coming up, and you can always shoot rabbits with your shotgun, I think Jacks are year round and cotton tails have a season so check the regs always. Not to mention there are a lot of areas you can hit the upland game with your shotgun.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Im in the Anaheim area, but am absolutely willing to travel for some help. Right now im locked into shotgun huntable game, only because i have not purchased my rifle yet for bigger
-AL

Hi Al!

I live in Anaheim too! I'm fairly new as well so I don't know how much "guidance" I can give you but I do have Skeet/Trap and rifle shooting experience.

Actually, I just got a new 20 gauge and .308 Win rifle I need to shoot! We could meet at a range if you like and practice.

Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al,

I'll address the turkey hunting opportunities in SoCal.....It's pretty much restricted to San Diego Co....NWTF San Diego Chapter offers a spring turkey tune-up every year....It's always near the end of February at Lake Sutherland....At the event, you can learn to call, buy calls, and draw for turkey hunting on the city property that surrounds the lake....You will also meet and talk to like minded folks (lots of SCH'ers there)....You can also pattern your shotgun (turkey choke recommended).

I also recommend that you join NWTF, CWA, DU, or if you area has a hunting club or trap range, join that....You will get magazines, updates, and much info about waterfowl & turkey hunting....Even Western Outdoors News can be a plus.

Ask lots of questions here and many will help....Also read the threads that cover whatever you want to hunt....Turkey hunting is under the upland forums.

Getting into waterfowl hunting is easier in a sense, but more difficult in some ways.....The easy part is finding a place to do it.....Here in SoCal, you have two wildlife areas that offer it, San Jacinto & Wister....There's also Lake Henshaw....The hard part is knowing your ducks, buying decoys, waders, (expense), getting drawn for those wildlife areas (although not necessary)....Go to the DFW website and put in for the draws....If you get drawn, either PM or ask for someone to go with you....Hunting ducks is almost impossible these days without a mentor.

Upland hunting is available in a lot of areas, including our wildlife areas....The upper deserts have tons of opportunities as well....Quail & chukar are where you find them (most any canyon with water source)....The IV is your best bet for doves and there's lots of public out there, including Wister & DFW Heritage Fields.

Al,

As always thanks.. Had not thought of san diego really at all, and never would have known about the water fowlin in san jacinto.. I have been reading western outdoors, but ill definetly check/ join one or two of those!!

"Spring turkey tune up" == music to my ears !!

Cheers
-AL

Jenn jhi
You picked a good time to post because dove season opens next weekend. You have the gun. If you can make it to the Imperial Valley and don't know where to go or what to do, pm me and you can meet up with my gang and experience the sound of 5,000 shotguns going off as the sun rises.

Also, there are private duck clubs behind Prado Dam, less than 30 minutes from where you live in Anaheim. Guys do well there but I'm sure it's not cheap. Lastly there are a few dedicated guys who regularly take deer in the Orange County section of the CNF. Check DFW website for zones, tags etc. and buy the Onyx app.

That much powder in the air,

With that much powder in the air i dont see how i could turn that down. Im going to definetly have to make it down there .. I do have onX maps (constantly on it durring long trips) i have met some people that get a couple deer a year back in Azusa. Been looking up there a couple times, have yet to spot any nice bucks though. Only seen 1 small doe in 3 trips.

With a shotgun you will have a lot of opportunities. You have dove and waterfowl coming up, and you can always shoot rabbits with your shotgun, I think Jacks are year round and cotton tails have a season so check the regs always. Not to mention there are a lot of areas you can hit the upland game with your shotgun.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ya i want to get after some cotton tails , have a hell of a rabbit recipe an id like to stock up .
Heard jacks are a good amount of fun to get after as well..

-AL

Hi Al!

I live in Anaheim too! I'm fairly new as well so I don't know how much "guidance" I can give you but I do have Skeet/Trap and rifle shooting experience.

Actually, I just got a new 20 gauge and .308 Win rifle I need to shoot! We could meet at a range if you like and practice.

Let me know.

Ya man definetly, only range i know of around us with trap an skeet is LA, do u know another one? Me n my buddy go there a good amount, like to reach out with his AR an slap some steel at 600 . Cant freakin wait to get my .308 as well. I just came back from a trip up north so im stocked up on 12g steel target loads.. Well for now at least lol

Ya man definetly, only range i know of around us with trap an skeet is LA, do u know another one? Me n my buddy go there a good amount, like to reach out with his AR an slap some steel at 600 . Cant freakin wait to get my .308 as well. I just came back from a trip up north so im stocked up on 12g steel target loads.. Well for now at least lol

Prado Olympic Shooting Park has Skeet and Trap. I go there on my lunch.

I'm actually going to Field Time in Stanton tomorrow to zero my AR15 and Tikka T3x.

Prado Olympic Shooting Park has Skeet and Trap. I go there on my lunch.

I'm actually going to Field Time in Stanton tomorrow to zero my AR15 and Tikka T3x.

Didnt know that, do u have to buy there amo? Couple places i know of make u buy their house shells for shotgunners

Didnt know that, do u have to buy there amo? Couple places i know of make u buy their house shells for shotgunners

No, you can use your own ammo. It just has to be 7 1/2 or smaller. If you rent one of their guns you might have to use their ammo.

Good price too as it's only $9 for 25 clay pigeons. No other fees.

No, you can use your own ammo. It just has to be 7 1/2 or smaller. If you rent one of their guns you might have to use their ammo.

Good price too as it's only $9 for 25 clay pigeons. No other fees.

Ow well in that case ya im defintely going to have to check it out, i usually shoot 7 1/2 anyway, an those are solid prices for clays..

Gonna be camping/ scouting some spots next weekend but after that lets link up an explode some clay. It'll be cool to have a more experienced clay shooter to help me get it squared away.. Being as the closest ive had to clay shootin is bottles being thrown from behind or far off by friends. Manage to hit um most times but i know clays move a hole heck of alot faster than a half filles water bottle hah.

Ow well in that case ya im defintely going to have to check it out, i usually shoot 7 1/2 anyway, an those are solid prices for clays..

Gonna be camping/ scouting some spots next weekend but after that lets link up an explode some clay. It'll be cool to have a more experienced clay shooter to help me get it squared away.. Being as the closest ive had to clay shootin is bottles being thrown from behind or far off by friends. Manage to hit um most times but i know clays move a hole heck of alot faster than a half filles water bottle hah.
Half filled water bottle.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu