New Guy

mployd

Aug 5, 2015
IE
Hi Everyone,
I’m new to hunting and this will be my first season. I’ve got myself set up for a deer tag in D14. I’m a long time local and somewhat familiar with the area as a gold prospector. I’m looking forward to learning and developing knowledge and skills.

Welcome to SCH mployd. What rifle are you using? What do you have for binocs and rangefinder?

Well, I plan on using a Pre 64 Winchester 70 featherweight in 30-06. Not my 1st choice, more recoil then I care for, but a keeper. :'( But I’m happy to use it to honor my Grandfather and at least while I can still get away with lead core ammo. It sports the original scope and rings from Sears. My other rifles are a touch on the heavy side built for target shooting. Though this maybe the excuse I need to finally build out a 243, a 260, and a 7mm-08 with that lottery money I’m going to win... some day. :D

Currently I use a Steiner 10x50 Binos and have a Leica LR-1200. I have an assortment of other pocket binos and spotting scopes I’ve accrued.

Sounds like you are good to go then. Gotta love the legacy rifle. My brother has shot bear, white tail, elk, and pig with our dad's Rem 7600 pump .30-06. It always makes us feel like he's with us.

Legacy rifles are great and a wonderful way to bring remember and have him with me. I didn’t get a chance to hunt with him but I hope to learn to be as good as he was, so the stories go… :)

Luckily as a prospector I’m well stocked on outdoor gear already… well too much outdoor gear. My resolution is to go well equipped but light.

Holocomb Valley is a great little gem in the IE. I’m hoping to do a bit of preseason scouting and a little prospecting.

Welcome to SCH..........I too shoot the Mod 70 30-06..........Really not that bad on the recoil IMO......Classic rifle!

I shot a bucks a few years back to honor my dads old Rem Mod 721, 270.....Bought in 1947.....Still shoots straight as a string......Original 2.5 scope too...... ;)

Attachments

• Bucks & Wister 10-31-12 096.JPG
    Bucks & Wister 10-31-12 096.JPG
    370.4 KB · Views: 23
Don,

I hunted Wister in the morning, but all I could think about was this buck I had seen the night before...... ;)

Attachments

• Bucks & Wister 10-31-12 028.JPG
    Bucks & Wister 10-31-12 028.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 21

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu