New Hunter Camp Pendleton

MattNewcom11

Mar 18, 2016
Camp Pendleton
Hi, I just recently got my hunting license and bought myself a Remington 700(.308), and Id like to start hunting coyotes and wild pigs. Was wondering if anyone could give me advice as to calls to use, places to hunt, ect. Or just general information I should know as a new hunter. Thanks.

Get an electronic caller and just get out there and do it. 10 hours of Internet research is nowhere near what you will learn an hour or two out in the field. I'd love to see what a .308 would do to a coyote. When you get one be sure to post a picture!

Welcome. Wild pigs are scarce so maybe try a guided hunt first. Not a predator hunter so not sure about yotes, but there are plenty of them everywhere. There are some guys on here who know about hunting on base. Hopefully they will chime in.

Welcome! Im pretty new myself and I have the same hunting interests. If you find somewhere you want to check out and need a hunting partner, shoot me a PM. I dont have a rifle just yet but my shotgun is all set up for Yotes. Good Luck! This forum has helped me a lot!

Pyro

Welcome man, my advice from personal experience, I'm pretty new figuring it all out as well. Just got back from hunting pig on mil land last week with a big remi .308
Long story short, I effing missed.
Tracked a pig for a few days and on the last min of the last day he just so happened to get the drop on me when I hiked back to my truck. Literally was 50 yds away. He bolted and I tried to get a shot on him. I had him dead to rights as he was running away but i couldn't get the cross hairs steady on him to save my life. Legs turned to jelly with adrenaline and I found myself in a position where I had no choice but to try and shoulder fire my big remi 700. He got to about 90 to 100yds, tried to pop off a shot...missed.. left me a trail of piss that smelled like onions and body odor
Now I have anger problems. Immediately went to the store and grabbed a shooting stick and tried to catch him the following day. No dice.

100 things I could have done to make the shot. Let excitement take over.

Next time I'm taking my AR out.

Don't take too much gun/scope out
Take a shooting stick. Practice running up a hill and getting your heart rate up and making a shot.

Get a good pack, good glass, range finder. Make a list of stuff you think you might need before you go out.

Have a plan for every situation, if you do get a kill on a pig just before sundown make sure you got a solid plan on processing it. EX Don't wait until get out of the field at 11pm and not have a cooler ready.

Scout,scout,scout and scout. Research, scout,scout,scout.

Understand wind and make a solid plan for entering a spot or a hill you want to watch.

Not a lot of pigs out here but they exist, trust me.

For now, I'm going to wait until winter when the ground gets softer. Right now it's dry and windy. I consider myself very lucky seeing one when/where I did.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A23,

Great advice and nice write up..........Thanks for sharing...........You'll get him next time......... ;)

ps......Shooting game running is an art form in itself. I've killed a number of running animals. Don't know how you even practice to do it. But being raised as a shotgunner probably helped (point & shoot).

Welcome to the forum. If you are on Camp Pendleton go to the game warden office and ask them for some advice. Lots of opportunities on base if you have a SUV or a truck. Great time to start scouting and taking some of the bambi eaters out as well.

msailor said:
Welcome to the form. If you are on Camp Pendleton go to the game warden office and ask them for some advice. Lots of opportunities on base if you have a SUV or a truck. Great time to start scouting and taking some of the bambi eaters out as well.

Trust me I have been, Ive gone out on base 5 times now with no luck (on coyotes). I did see some deer though. As for the truck, I drive a coupe so hiking has been a big part of my experience so far.

Matt,

Welcome to SCH.....Not a lot of pig opportunities here in SoCal with the exception of pay to play operations. Coyotes on the other hand are numerous. Not easy by any means, but numerous.....Since you drive a car, you may want to check the Salton Sea area. (Riverside & Imperial Counties).....I might advice getting a shotgun too. Your upland bird opportunities are numerous out there.....Lots of rabbits as well..... ;)

Thank you for your service.

MattNewcom11 said:
msailor said:
Welcome to the form. If you are on Camp Pendleton go to the game warden office and ask them for some advice. Lots of opportunities on base if you have a SUV or a truck. Great time to start scouting and taking some of the bambi eaters out as well.

Trust me I have been, Ive gone out on base 5 times now with no luck (on coyotes). I did see some deer though. As for the truck, I drive a coupe so hiking has been a big part of my experience so far.

Time to find a hunting buddy with a pick up. That is what I did the until I got an one. Mike and November have a bunch of yotes and the hike wont be too bad.

Damn I am trying to think of some areas to walk into did but there are not many with rifle. Good luck

ilovesprig said:
Matt,

Welcome to SCH.....Not a lot of pig opportunities here in SoCal with the exception of pay to play operations. Coyotes on the other hand are numerous. Not easy by any means, but numerous.....Since you drive a car, you may want to check the Salton Sea area. (Riverside & Imperial Counties).....I might advice getting a shotgun too. Your upland bird opportunities are numerous out there.....Lots of rabbits as well..... ;)

Thank you for your service.

I'll look into the salton sea area, and thank you for your support Sir!

Look into www.sdcvc.com and come to a meeting. We have several retired military that hunt Pendleton. All the rest of us hunt all over for everything...birds, big game, coyotes, fox, hogs, etc.

Hey Matt I'm here on camp pendleton too. Haven't done any hunting on base yet but I will be shortly. If you want to hunt together some time just PM me.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu