New Hunter

B

beeaav

Hello everyone! I am an 18 year old looking for a good place to hunt with my dad before I start back with school. We are both new to hunting, but have been shooting long guns for years. Any info would be greatly appreciated (techniques, spots, gear) anything! Thank you for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome beeaav. Please take some time and read carefully all the sticky threads in the newbie Den. Have you both passed your hunter safety course and bought licenses? Where do you live? What do you want to hunt? Take the time to read and re-read the regulations on hunting whatever your preferred game is.

I live in Santee, San Diego. I'm looking to hunt anything that moves. We just don't know any places to go. Big game, small mammals, birds. Anything. What do you recommend and where?

What Ghost and Bonejour said.. recommend getting some Cleveland Natl Forest and BLM maps and doing a bit of hiking. Deer hunting this season might be a lost cause for ya if u haven't put in for tags (D16 is sold out) but bird hunting, waterfowl, and small game are still opportunities to be had. Read up on this forum from some more experienced hunters than me.

beeaav said:
I live in Santee, San Diego. I'm looking to hunt anything that moves. We just don't know any places to go. Big game, small mammals, birds. Anything. What do you recommend and where?

I like your enthusiasm. What firearm will you use? Shotgun or rifle?

Where's a good spot to go for rabbit? Cleveland national forest?

Bonejour said:
beeaav said:

I like your enthusiasm. What firearm will you use? Shotgun or rifle?
we have 3 12 gauges. 308, .223, a 7mm, and a 30 odd 6. We have the guns so we're looking to go after everything. What do you recommend and where? Without giving out your secret spots.

There are lots of good threads under the small game forum. Here is one.
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=8125
Follow the advice, get your boots out there and have fun with your dad. Be sure to to report back; as you put in the work, you'll get more feedback.

Bonejour said:
There are lots of good threads under the small game forum. Here is one.
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=8125
Follow the advice, get your boots out there and have fun with your dad. Be sure to to report back; as you put in the work, you'll get more feedback.
thank you for all your help I'll keep you posted!

It's soon too be bird season so grab the shotguns and hit the Imperial Valley also known as the IV. Bring your 223 incase you spot a yote while chasing rabbits. Start at the edge of the farm land look for tracks around brushy areas and go from there......if you can find pigeons & ID Eurasian doves they are open with no limit now. Go to Walmart pick up some cheap 7 1/2 boxes and your good to go. Just remember to pick up your empties and respect the farmers land so we all can use it in the future.

Like was said before deer is out this year but lots of birds to be had

MJB said:
It's soon too be bird season so grab the shotguns and hit the Imperial Valley also known as the IV. Bring your 223 incase you spot a yote while chasing rabbits. Start at the edge of the farm land look for tracks around brushy areas and go from there......if you can find pigeons & ID Eurasian doves they are open with no limit now. Go to Walmart pick up some cheap 7 1/2 boxes and your good to go. Just remember to pick up your empties and respect the farmers land so we all can use it in the future.

Like was said before deer is out this year but lots of birds to be had

Plus 1 and welcome to SCH......I might had.....READ THE UPLLAND & WATERFOWL REGULATIONS BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS.....AND THE REGS IN EACH COUNTY CAN BE DIFFERENT, ESPECIALLY IN THE IV......Good luck.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu