New Mexico Antelope Down

BBH

Dec 25, 2014
Lakeside California
Day 2 Update below!

Grandson Lil’ Drew nailed his first Antelope this morning Northeast of Roswell, New Mexico. It has been raining cats and dogs since Friday, over 4” so far. After a sleepless night due to a midnight fire alarm at the inn where we are staying, we took off to hunt, with guide Justin, in the pouring rain. At dawn we parked and waited for the rain to let up. It slowed so we started to glass as we drove cross country to a high place for a better view. As we reached the crest a buck jumped up from the brush. Lil’ Drew skedaddled from the truck, took a knee and nailed the buck at 200 yds. The buck took a few steps and dropped. The sky opened up and heavy rain started in again. It has not let up all day, dirt roads are impassable, so grandpa has to wait till tomorrow for his turn!

Part 2 below!

1661045042580.jpeg

1661045158468.jpeg

1661045182473.jpeg

Part 2

The rain tapered off overnight after dumping 5” on our hunt location. No fire alarms last night so well rested this morning. We decided to wait to hunt until 6:30 AM to let the roads drain and the mud dry some so we could travel the ranch roads. About 9 we started to see Antelope. Saw a nice looking buck, but the does accompanying him kept us from getting close. Moved on, found another buck, and started to work in on him. However, that’s when two New Mexico game wardens showed up and checked our papers. By the time they had wished us good luck and left, the buck had wondered out of sight. We shortly came upon an even better buck (thank you wardens). Grandpa quickly set up and dropped his buck at 230 yds (280AI, 140 gr Absolute Hammers).

1661114145504.jpeg

1661114259303.jpeg

Attachments

• 1661025181411.jpeg
    1661025181411.jpeg
    705.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 1661045069902.jpeg
    1661045069902.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
You sir , have now created a monster . The good kind of monster . Congrats to sticking it out and for a Great Buck !!! ummmmm...... can I be your grandson even though I am likely your age ?

PO

Ya buddy! He’s mine, that one, he’s every last bit of his old man’s son!

Couldn’t be more proud of this young man. Only a few years left before we turn him loose on the world and I am darn proud of him.

Tikka 308 Shooting 168g Barnes TTSX. I love this bullet and I think this cartridge is a great all around cartridge especially for youth

Reactions: NBK and BBH
That is a very nice first buck young man. As a matter of fact, it would be nice no matter what number it was.

Reactions: BBH
California sucks ! dam shame. Once again awesome young man you got there drew, stone cold when the heat is On.

Reactions: BBH
Ahh yes...let the mammals get dead . I like new Mexico..alot..and guides. Way to go son..way to make it happen! KAPOOW!!

Reactions: BBH and Stikbrandon
Another young person to help preserve our heritage.

Well done to all involved. Good luck to Barry on his goat. Look forward to another post.

Reactions: BBH and TRICER
Updated post and added part 2 with money shots.

Well done Barry. Give us some detail on the shot. Where did you hit the animal, how did the bullet perform, how did you set up the shot etc.

Nice buck Barry!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu