New Mexico Antelope Down

@BBH side x side comparison basically the same distance Barnes 168G TTSX vs Hammer 140G AH

What are your thoughts are the hammers worth the price?

Well done Barry. Give us some detail on the shot. Where did you hit the animal, how did the bullet perform, how did you set up the shot etc.

Nice buck Barry!
Set up 280AI, 140 gr Absolute Hammers, kneeling with tripod. The target was at 230 yds, scope set for 300 yds. Buck was presenting nearly broadside, slanted toward me, walking quickly into a 15 mph headwind. Led a bit too much and hit neck-body intersection. Buck dropped immediately. No exit wound. Never found the bullet. Past experience with hammers is they fragment. Lots of frothy blood suggests the bullet or part of it penetrated the lungs. If I had it to do over and had more time I would have come down 2-3 1/4 clicks and led less. Bottom line, one Hammer did the trick.

@BBH side x side comparison basically the same distance Barnes 168G TTSX vs Hammer 140G AH

What are your thoughts are the hammers worth the price?
Barnes blasts through an animal with big entry and exit wounds. Hammers fragment into petals and shank, often don’t exit or leave small exit wounds, sometimes hard to see. Less meat damage with Hammers. In my opinion it is easier and quicker to work up an accurate load with the hammers, less sensitive to jump. Worth it to me!

From my experience and others I have read, hammer blood trails leave a lot to be desired because of the small to non-existent exit wound.

Nothing is more stressful then not finding any blood on an animal you know you made a good shot on. Happened to me last fall, luckily cow elk only went 40 yards or so and i was able to follow her tracks to her.

That said hammers are 4 for 4 on elk I have shot with them.

Reactions: BBH
From my experience and others I have read, hammer blood trails leave a lot to be desired because of the small to non-existent exit wound.

Nothing is more stressful then not finding any blood on an animal you know you made a good shot on. Happened to me last fall, luckily cow elk only went 40 yards or so and i was able to follow her tracks to her.

That said hammers are 4 for 4 on elk I have shot with them.
I think we have now killed 8 or so animals with hammers they do work and they are super easy to load and they shoot great. With that said I don't think they are a better "killing" bullet than Barnes all things equal I kind of lean towards the Barnes for the penetration and exit wound. But if I am taking a shot passed 400 yards I lean towards the hammer. I don't know how I feel lol. Half my guns are barnes and half are hammers.

Reactions: BBH
I would concentrate on terminal results as one of the compelling data points.

I am a fan of both. Two completely different bullets and terminal concepts.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu