New old hunter in Fallbrook

rbduffer

Dec 15, 2014
Fallbrook
Hey guys and gals,
I guess I'm an old new hunter. 56 y.o. retired electrician looking to go hiking with a gun. Very actively target shooting my AR 15 and 308 bolt for the last six month. I got my license, I'm zeroed in, It's time to hunt! I've been lurking on this site for a while and even popped off a couple of opinions before I realized that I had not properly checked in. Great group of guys. Thanks for the opportunity learn and hopfully meet up with some of you.

Welcome to the site. Getting out in the backcountry will be a great way to spend time in your retirement. Check out the sticky topics in the newbie den, grab a map or GPS and get outside!

RBD,

Welcome to SCH.........Lots of guys that are into rifles and AR's........Perfect stuff for the varmint hunting crowd.

ilovesprig said:
RBD,

Welcome to SCH.........Lots of guys that are into rifles and AR's........Perfect stuff for the varmint hunting crowd.

agreed with those rifles and a shotgun you should be able to hunt pretty much everything Southern California has to offer. Welcome to the site.

Thanks guys for the welcome.
I've got dad's old .410, but keeping an eye out for a 12 ga. I,ve been stomping around San Mateo Wilderness and the Hemit area for varmints. If I stumble across some deer tracks, I may try for a tag this season.
I just read there is another noobie here from Murrieta, with a new coyote caller. I think I'll go hit him up ;)
Til then, Good hunting.

Ya you can get a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 for around $3-500 depending on the sale. Both guns are bullet proof. I am fond of the Mossberg 500 it is light and will eat anything you feed it. I clean mine like once a season and I am yet to have any problems.

I used to have a Mossberg pump years ago. Wish I wouldn't have sold it. I'll look at the 870s too. Thanks

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu