new shotgun, Benelli Super Nova or Stoeger m3500

Whatever feels and looks right is your way to go.......But, don't over think this stuff.......I'm left eye dominant and was a left hander shooter as a kid......Switched to right handed guns at about 12 years of age......And I know your supposed to shoot with both eyes open, but I close my left eye and still seem to hit stuff....... ;)

Yeah, I closed my left eye with my mossberg and hit stuff too, I'm just thinking if I'm gonna change the sight out might as well try one where I may be able to use both eyes, if not only 20 bux wasted ..

I try and try to shoot both eyes open at birds. Doesn't seem to work well for me. I close my left eye and put them down for often. If they go down they go down.

Couple things can help with your shooting.....

1. Fit gun to you https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P-JOj4J_Ltc
Shoulder gun with eyes closed to see muscle memory. Do it over and over to see where you line of sight lies. Consistency is what you want so it becomes non thinking. Than adjust as needed

2. Practice dry fire flying birds
You can do this in the back yard just make sure your safe & unloaded
You want to make sure you follow thru and have a smooth trigger pull its not a squeeze like rifles. And most important make sure you shoulder it the same everytime and it should feel natural.

3.Go shoot clays or pigeons. Two things here first is the first shot with no recoil you should do very well with a few tries then work on shooting doubles. After your first shot look to see how you line of sight has changed and adjust so your first shot doesn't affect your line of sight for the second shot. Each gun & action can be different.

Pass shooting left and right. You want to be able to take a step into shooting but this takes time and is a must for hunting.
Then move onto shooting birds that fly away straight out Texas heart shot. Try to get good enough to take a step into the shot.
Next is one of the hardest, birds flying at you. Your good to go when you can stand still and hit every bird in front of you.

The overall goal is consistant muscle memory so it's non thinking and becomes about "it just feels right"

Relax and don't over think it

Wow, great, concise video! I have been wondering about all these things, but never saw it explained so well. Thanks dude.

Awesome video, wish i would have found that when i first started looking into gun fit awhile back..

I did have to add 1 off cast shim to my stock to see straight down the rib, comb and LOP are good, my problem is with the bead on the stoeger, in my searching others have said the same thing, that its just big, for lack of a better term (just sticks out like a sore thumb) for me and is really distracting, it could be that i have never shot a Fluoro bead before and have to get used to how bright they are, used to a brass or white bead..

after a ton of searching i found the easy hit bead, the tunnel design is supposed to help you with several things, keeping your head down, (i find myself lifting my head once in a while too), able to shoot with both eyes open, and help with cross eye dominance, I figure since i have to learn a new gun, a new fluoro bead, might as well try both eyes open, (if it works as stated) but tons of good reviews, I may have to just go back to a brass or white bead ..

but for $17.99 if this thing makes me shoot like Tom Knapp..lol, look out birdies... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLSZyv0bFRE

I don't ever see the bead I'm on the bird with my eye and pull my gun up to my shoulder then boom. This is total opposite of rifle shooting where it's all about putting the bead on the target

Try watching the bird then pull the gun up without looking at the bead. Fast repetitious shooting will cure the bead issue if all else fails

Be one with the gun......

yea understand what your saying, i never seen the brass or white beads either, but this stock bead shows up so much in my peripheral vision i can't help but see it, sometimes it actually makes me look at it when i try not to, not all the time but once is too much, i thought about adding a little padding to the comb to help see over it but the pattern is right where i want it to be right now, about 60/40

so you never had a problem switching to a fluoro bead...?

a buddy yesterday told me to try a little black tape over the top to let less light in, wish I would have tried that

the bead i bought is smaller so hopefully it helps even if i end up staying with right eye shooting

MJB said:
Why not take it off? Fit & Muscle memory should make the bead useless

yea, thats another option... then a magnetic for turkey aiming

the bead gets here tomorrow so gonna give it a shot and go from there.......

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu