New to D12

CGates123

Apr 26, 2017
My brother and I have been mule deer hunting in Arizona a few times but decided to try our luck in CA this year. Does anyone have any advice on differences we might see compared to southern AZ? Obviously we are going to do a lot of scouting between now and November but you can't beat experienced knowledge of the area when it's available.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Did a bighorn study and drinker repair a few years ago.....These pix are from the north end of the Salton Sea & the Orocopia Mts.....Big rough, rocky country.....The lower portions are much sandier and flat.....Tough zone, but the reward can be great......;)

.2010-09-14 18-12-13 M 03_03.jpg 2010-09-15 08-07-32 M 02_03.jpg wister 11-24-10 013.JPG nwtf & desert 6-9-13 024.JPG trail cam desert 2088.JPG

Reactions: CGates123
Wow those look fantastic we will scout those areas first. Do you recommend hiking off road there or is it more important to cover a lot of ground? In Arizona it was beneficial to take the trails to a promising spot then hike about 1 to 2 miles off that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

CG,

I'd get on Google Earth and check out the Orocopia's.....I walked a lot of that stuff....I think your better off down low in the hills....There's also drinkers in a couple of the canyons....Find those & your chances will increase....;)

Ps.....Good chance of seeing some of these.....:blush:

.trail cam desert 1440.JPG trail cam desert 2992.JPG

Reactions: CGates123
Another new D12 hunter here. I started another thread and probably shoulda just posted in this one. I'm still putting together the game plan, and have been doing a lot of virtual scouting, getting myself acquainted with the enormity of the zone. I have an idea where I want to get started, and have talked to a very helpful CDFW guy, but no one that is personally familiar with the area I have in mind. Obviously scouting right now is a suicide mission because of the heat, but I want to get out there with boots on the ground ASAP.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu