New to deer hunting. Need help.

Capt.bones

Sep 15, 2015
San Diego, CA
Hey guys what's up. I am looking into doing some deer hunting this year. I know the odds are low in San Diego, so cal area. I still would like the experience. I am confused on how to get a tag, where to hunt, draws, and zones. Its a little overwhelming. I've tried to make sense of it on the fish and wildlife website and there's a lot going on that I don't understand.
A dummy down version or explanation of when I can purchase a tag, what zones are for drawings and which ones are not. And any other info would be great. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

Yes, it's very confusing, and even harder to explain with out specific questions. I am new to deer hunting too, and these guys try to answer the same questions every season.
Everyone here spends hours on line trying to learn whats up. I goggle and read for days until I can come up with very specific questions that I could not find on google. Like How do I get a deer tag for D16 rifle only?
So figure out where you want to hunt and a second or third zone, with what weapon, how much time you're going to scout and such. It makes it much easier to get a quick answer from these good guys.
Welcome to California Deer hunting and good luck!

It really isn't that difficult or different than any other state. It takes some effort and a bit of research. Below you will find two links that can help you on your way. First link is the "2017 California Big Game Hunting Digest" and the second link is arguably the best post on this forum to date regarding hunting deer and big game in general.

Please take the time to read both:

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=142671&inline

http://schoutdoors.com/threads/how-are-you-guys-seeing-so-many-deer.4793/

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu